• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Onboard optical out and Zero DAC issue.

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 17, 2000
Messages
6,004
I started having this problem back when I went from XP to Vista with a gigabyte board. Then I picked up a creative card just to resolve it. I am using the spdif optical out on the card to a ZERO DAC reciever. The problem is that if there is no sound it powers the amp off. So the whole time its clicking on.... clicking off.. clicking on... etc. The Creative doesn't do this. This has happened on two boards now.. one with Vista and one with Win7. Anyone else run into this? Is it a power savings features or some way of trying to control hiss? I would like to ditch the creative card and its software and use the onboard if I could get it working.
 
on the onboard card, is there anything unmuted excepting software mixers? try leaving a mic or analog audio input unmuted, does this improve the situation?
 
on the onboard card, is there anything unmuted excepting software mixers? try leaving a mic or analog audio input unmuted, does this improve the situation?

Have not tried that but I dont seem to have the issue wtih the creative card. Hard to beleive I am the only one who has run into this. Really annoying. I would ditch the createive card if I could get the onboard to work correctly.
 
Have not tried that but I dont seem to have the issue wtih the creative card. Hard to beleive I am the only one who has run into this. Really annoying. I would ditch the createive card if I could get the onboard to work correctly.

can't help if you won't troubleshoot :eek:

as far as the screwy things onboard audio does, its almost endless, not really surprised that you've found a quirk
 
IIRC the problem is that onboard (I'm guessing Realtek here, unsure of whether other onboard chips do the same) turns off its output stream in Vista/7 whenever there's no audio being played by the system, while the Creative cards consistently put out a silent signal when there's no audio instead. The repeated clicking sound is probably from whenever the system is supposed to play a minor sound for opening new windows in Explorer, navigating to new web pages, etc. Unfortunately I don't recall whether it's even possible to tell the onboard chipset to keep outputting a signal; I just happen to remember seeing threads about this issue before.
 
IIRC the problem is that onboard (I'm guessing Realtek here, unsure of whether other onboard chips do the same) turns off its output stream in Vista/7 whenever there's no audio being played by the system, while the Creative cards consistently put out a silent signal when there's no audio instead. The repeated clicking sound is probably from whenever the system is supposed to play a minor sound for opening new windows in Explorer, navigating to new web pages, etc. Unfortunately I don't recall whether it's even possible to tell the onboard chipset to keep outputting a signal; I just happen to remember seeing threads about this issue before.

Thats exactly the problem an exactly what I was thinking it might be. It did not do this in XP with the same board and ZERO DAC. Guess im stuck with the Creative.
 
IIRC the problem is that onboard (I'm guessing Realtek here, unsure of whether other onboard chips do the same) turns off its output stream in Vista/7 whenever there's no audio being played by the system, while the Creative cards consistently put out a silent signal when there's no audio instead. The repeated clicking sound is probably from whenever the system is supposed to play a minor sound for opening new windows in Explorer, navigating to new web pages, etc. Unfortunately I don't recall whether it's even possible to tell the onboard chipset to keep outputting a signal; I just happen to remember seeing threads about this issue before.

Creative card will mute as well if there is no signal, isn't unique to Windows Vista/Windows 7
having a mic or analog input unmuted will present a signal, hence my suggestion to do so

Thats exactly the problem an exactly what I was thinking it might be. It did not do this in XP with the same board and ZERO DAC. Guess im stuck with the Creative.

given that you're unwilling to try or test anything, I guess you are
 
Get a xitel dg2 off ebay for $20. Thats what came with my zero dac and works fine. I just use my sound card right now though since i have a striker 7.1.
 
Creative card will mute as well if there is no signal, isn't unique to Windows Vista/Windows 7
having a mic or analog input unmuted will present a signal, hence my suggestion to do so



given that you're unwilling to try or test anything, I guess you are

Forgot to mention I screwed with this thing a while and never could get it working right. Muting and unmuting the mic made no difference. Whats odd is I tried a USB to Optical out converter taht came with my ZERO had the same problem. What I noticed is with the win7 generic driver the sound is fine. When I load the Realtek driver is when the issue starts.
 
Get a xitel dg2 off ebay for $20. Thats what came with my zero dac and works fine. I just use my sound card right now though since i have a striker 7.1.

I had the same problem with an adapter that looked identical to that which also came with my ZERO. All of this stuff worked fine in XP.
 
copyright, you're not the only one with this problem.

I revieved the old thread about the zero clicking sound a few days ago.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1351527

it seems that it's a realtek driver issue. the driver i used for my RC version of win7 worked fine with no clicking.

now with the latest driver the problem started again. :( maybe i can find a realtek driver archive and try an older one)
 
Today i un-installed the realtek driver (ver. 2.41). Win7 then installed it's own drivers and now it works without the clicks. I won't even try the older realtek drivers.

Maybe i buy one of these USB to SPDIF thingies anyway.
 
Today i un-installed the realtek driver (ver. 2.41). Win7 then installed it's own drivers and now it works without the clicks. I won't even try the older realtek drivers.

Maybe i buy one of these USB to SPDIF thingies anyway.

My USB to spdif thingy does the same thing last I tried it. I will try it again. I noticed with the win7 default driver it works fine also but after loading the realtek driver the problem starts back. Really stupid on their end.
 
Back
Top