Onboard LAN Port Fried?

Rustynuts

[H]F Junkie
I got hit by lightning (not me, my rig) through my cable. Took out the cable modem, router, and I thought only one PC's ethernet connection. After replacing the "Kitchen Fresh" components and getting and new NIC all is well. Except for my second PC. My first always showed a "cable disconnected" error on the bad onboard NIC, but the other PC still showed the cable connected and the port operating, but it still wouldn't work! All cables tested fine and I had to go buy a second NIC card to get it working. Why would everything show fine on the PC and the onboard NIC still not work? Are there any testing routines to actually identify a bad onboard NIC, kind of like the internal modem testing I remember?

i had a similar situation once. i used to have an AT7 mobo w/ onboard nic. it would be detected by windows and you could even install / update the drivers for it. hell, the nic could even receive packets, but just couldnt send any back.

the moral of my story: in my experience, it is possible to have a 'working' component and still have it 'non-functional'.

can't help you as far as the testing thing goes... the only 'testing' i did in my situation was to turn on the symbol in the tray for LAN connection and see how many packets were received / sent.

If you see acidic juices seeping from the NIC, just don't go tasting it like some other user in the forum did.

Your nic is made up of 3 parts. The first part interfaces to the pc, and builds the packets for transmission. The second part is right behind the jack that you plug the cable into, and consists of the line drivers that send and recieve the info down the wires. In between those 2 parts is a buffer circuitry that heeps high powered transients (AKA Lightning strikes) from getting into your computer and doing nasty stuff like blowing out your pci bus or smoking your cpu.

The symptom you describe is classic. The Bad nic is still talking to your computer, but since it cannot see the jack anymore, it never knows the cable is plugged in. On the other end, the link light is lit, cause there is an electrical connection between the 2 computers, cause the line drivers are still good, but since the info is not getting passed on to the controller chip for the nic, no info gets passed between computers.

Don

Back