Onboard LAN Driver issues...

Really require help with this guys. I have a Asus p4p800 MB. Ever since I bought the board, the onboard LAN has never worked. I want to clear the slot where the add in card was installed, and has worked fine, after I gave up trying 2 1/2 years ago! I went thru device manager. It does pick up the card. And it does tell me that no drivers are installed. I have gone thru Asus support, and that has not worked. I DL the driver (listed as a 3Com Gigabit LOM (3C940) Driver V1.00.00.0046 for Windows) but Device manager will not pick it up as the contents do not match the device.
I have also tried 3COM's site and nothing, not even in their archives section is listed, for drivers for that model.
Is there a generic driver that I can use? Is there going to be a conflict due to the additional network card?
I know nothing about networking...nothing at all. So I would appreciate any help with this. Maybe someone else has had the same issue.
Cheers

What OS are you using exactly? Also, which model of the p4p800 is it? Their website lists this driver in addition to the one you stated. You'll also have to remove the NIC card from your PCI slot or disable it most likely before the onboard LAN will function properly.

Description: 3com Gigabit LOM (3C940) WHQL Driver V1.00.00.0044
3com Gigabit LOM (3C940) WHQL Driver V1.00.00.0044 For NT4.0/windows98se/ME/2000/XP

It's XP Home. Surprised to hear that I will have to remove/dable the card. Should they not both be able to run? Again, I know nothing about networking but I will try this. Hopefully it works. Thanks for your help. :)

Back