onboard graphics

NeghVar

2[H]4U
Does a motherboard with an HDMI/Display port require a CPU with an integrated GPU? Or is the GPU somewhere on the motherboard?

I am piecing together a system and I selected Asrock X570M Pro4 and a Ryzen 7 3700X. I do not need a graphics card. Onboard will do fine for what I need. The salesperson said I need a video card because the CPU needs integrated GPU for the video ports on the motherboard to work. Is this true?

Last edited:
Yes you need a CPU with an integrated GPU or a discrete GPU, both AMD and Nvidia have some pretty cheap entry lvl cards like a GT 1030 you can add, or you can go the intel route as most of their CPU's have integrated GPU's.

Yes, you need a gpu, integrated or discrete. The onboard ports only work with an integrated gpu.

the only AMD options with an integrated GPU right now are the desktop APUs like the 3400g. The new, Zen2 based APUs have been announced for mobile but not yet for desktop. So right now if you want 8C/16T AMD processor you’ll need a cheap low end card of some sort just to make it work.

AMD has not yet decided to put a GPU on every processor like Intel does (personally I find this a bit annoying, as I think even some kind of basic functionality is a requirement these days). And weirdly Intel has recently released some processors without a GPU.

Back