Hi all. I've been out of the PC hardware loop for a long time now but I just built myself a rig for MMOs. Because my knowledge is out of date, can anyone enlighten me in relation to onboard audio vs. dedicated soundcards in this day and age ?
Specifically, does onboard audio still draw on the CPU like it used to, meaning a slight FPS hit in games ? I recall back in the day (several years ago now) that onboard meant a bit of extra CPU load and therefore FPS hit when gaming, whereas a dedicated soundcard offloaded that processing and meant higher FPS.
Cheers
1000
Specifically, does onboard audio still draw on the CPU like it used to, meaning a slight FPS hit in games ? I recall back in the day (several years ago now) that onboard meant a bit of extra CPU load and therefore FPS hit when gaming, whereas a dedicated soundcard offloaded that processing and meant higher FPS.
Cheers
1000