Onboard Audio Static

MTXR

[H]ard|Gawd
I have onboard audio.

Is it normal for there to be static coming from this when i use headphones? It is a bit annoying... Is there a way to minimize or stop this static?

I have onboard audio.

Is it normal for there to be static coming from this when i use headphones? It is a bit annoying... Is there a way to minimize or stop this static?

Is it normal? Well IDK how to answer that really. I would suspect it to be somewhat normal being integrated sound, its because of the interference coming from the motherboard. The way to fix this is, well, buy a sound card. I have the same problem with my onboard sound as well, to minimize the static I usually use low volumes. But as I said before, get a sound card, even a $30 one will (should) end your static woes. Good luck :)

If you can make a mini faraday cage that will fit over the audio chips/connectors, you should be able to stop most radiated noise. This wont help if the noise is transmitted electrically.

i've had that with cheap mobos b4. i'm a firm believer in sound cards

Well its not limited to "cheap" motherboards. I have a P5B-Deluxe that was $220, not cheap IMO. But I do believe that a sound card is the best way of fixing this issue.

a nice mobo like that should not do that. if its only headphones that do it it might be the headphones

Some X-Fis suffer the same problem.
It is most likely the sound circuits picking up interference in my view.

There is a big hoohaa with the X-Fi crackling on some NForce 4 boards.
Some people found that by shielding the X-Fi, the crackling stopped.

I do agree that it is possibly the headphone leads picking up interference.
Its worth trying another set.
The reason you can hear it much stronger with headphones is due to very little loss from the high frequency driver to your because of the close proximity.
Earphones always sound much clearer to me (I use a decent hifi for my PC).

Yeah sounds like the solution is a soundcard.

Unfortunately my schools lab computers have onboard sound.

I hear the static on both my SR-60s and my ER4p at the lab :(

I have onboard sound on my home computer but the static is not that distinct vs the lab computers.

Back