onboard audio+audigy 2 zs

misfitsfiend

[H]ard|Gawd
hi guys, just a simple question.

i just recently purchased a audigy 2 zs, and a week later a pair of senheisser hd-555's. my problem now is that i want to be able to leave my headphones plugged in all the time, but i want my logitech x620 6.1's in too!

so i left my 6.1's on the audigy, and i attempted to leave my headphones in the onboard port. i figured i could just toggle between the 2 in the sound and audio options like my friends do, but it doesn't work. now i uninstalled the drivers for both, installed the onboard audio drivers, and it doesn't show up anymore! is this because the audigy 2 is simply still in? thanks in advance!

specs on this pc are:
asus a8v se deluxe (realtek ac'97 onboard audio)
amd 3000+ venice
1gig geil 512mb pc3200
soundblaster audigy 2 zs

Screw the onboard sound! Just get an output switch and toggle between headphones and speakers. Plantronics makes a nice one for like $18.

Why couldn't you just leave the headphones and speakers both plugged into the Audigy?

There is an option in the "Device Controls" in Control Panel/AudioHQ to 'mute speakers when headphone plugged in'. Just uncheck that, and it will output to both.

but isn't the green plug where the headphones should be plugged into as well as the 2 main speakers?

misfitsfiend said:
but isn't the green plug where the headphones should be plugged into as well as the 2 main speakers?
Uhhh...yeah, I guess. Looks like you'll need the drive bay thingy. :D

misfitsfiend said:
hmmm could i get a link to one of those plantronics switcher thing-a-ma-jigs?
thanks!

These.

I was always told that if you use a splitter, never run two things like sets of speakers or headphones.

Donnie27

Donnie27 said:
These.

I was always told that if you use a splitter, never run two things like sets of speakers or headphones.

Donnie27

What would be the point of the splitter if you can't run two sets? I used to run my headphones and speakers off a splitter from the front channel of my A2 ZS...

I use a splitter.. well I bought one and tested it.. decreases sound quality on my z-680's and headphones dramatially... from my audigy 2 ZS...volume is lower... and the SQ is jsut not as clear and crisp.

strid3r said:
What would be the point of the splitter if you can't run two sets? I used to run my headphones and speakers off a splitter from the front channel of my A2 ZS...

You shouldn't run them at the same time though. He wants to leave his Headphones connected. Just like the other poster, it caused hit on my Audigy 2 ZS. At least lowered volume. This shouldn't happen with on the switches, I've not tested one. My X-Fi has to share MIC-In and Digital-Out from the Flexi Jack and I got Splitters on it as well. I should have gotten the X-Fi Platinum :(

Donnie27

Plantronics PC Headset Speaker Switch

audioswitchbox.gif

The switch works like...
switch.JPG

So basically the computer will see each load individually.

HOWEVER...

A splitter has each of the wires all connected. So in a simple case lets say your speakers have a 100 ohm impedance and your headphones have a 100 ohm impedance. Your computer would see a 50 ohm impedance.

A switch the computer would see a 100 ohm impedance at both ends.

So in short...

get the splitter I just told you about. It won't hurt sound quality and it will simplify your life.

Back