Onboard + AGP card for multiple monitors?

Othersider

Gawd
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
576
If I have a motherboard with the VIA PM800 chipset, and a Radeon 9800 AGP card, can I use both simultaneously for multiple monitors?

If it's just the different manufacturers issue, would it work if I used a motherboard with onboard ATI Radeon 9100?
 
No with VIA, yes with IGP9100 so long as manufacturer/BIOS supports a feature called "SurroundView." Check Google to see which models have it.
 
Most onboard video is connected to AGP. You can (without crazy high-end server boards) only have one AGP device in a system. In order to use an add-on AGP card, you have to (logically) disconnect the onboard video.

Of course, none of this really matters - you can just run dual-head off the Radeon 9800 (I don't think I've seen any 9800s that -don't- have dual outs) and it'll be better/faster than anything onboard could do for you anyways.
 
Back
Top