• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

On the fence... need some input...

jeverson

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 29, 2009
Messages
95
Ok, here's what I have now...

CPU: E6600 2.4Ghz (OC'd to 3.2GHZ)
MB: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L
RAM: A-DATA G series 4GB kit (x2)
GPU: XFX HD-587X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5870 (OC'd to Core 890Mhz and Ram 1290Mhz)
Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B (love this thing :D)
HDD: WD1002FAEX 1TB

Here is my boggle... I am short on cash (whole other problem) and I want to upgrade my CPU (about a $200 budget). I can't afford to upgrade my base system so I need to get something that will fit into my current build. I have been considering the Q9400 (about $200), Q9300 (about $220), and the Q8400 (about $170). I have read the reviews and compared the features and I was just wondering if you guys could just give me some feedback based on your personal experience with these CPUs. Did you like it? Did it OC well for you? Yadda yadda yadda. Thanks in advance.
 
It's cheaper because I am talking about used. I was just mentioning if you did not mind a USED cpu you can get a much better deal.

The 2.83 GHz Q9550 and the 3.0GHz Q9650 are the fastest core2 non extreme edition processors. Both should hit 3.3 GHz with much effort.
 
It's cheaper because I am talking about used. I was just mentioning if you did not mind a USED cpu you can get a much better deal.

The 2.83 GHz Q9550 and the 3.0GHz Q9650 are the fastest core2 non extreme edition processors. Both should hit 3.3 GHz with much effort.

mine hit 4.25GHz on a ghetto water cooling setup

you can get a q9550 for about $170 new at microcenter... if you aren't around a microcenter then you could have someone the lives near one pick it up for you
 
It's cheaper because I am talking about used. I was just mentioning if you did not mind a USED cpu you can get a much better deal.

The 2.83 GHz Q9550 and the 3.0GHz Q9650 are the fastest core2 non extreme edition processors. Both should hit 3.3 GHz with much effort.

You know, it just never crossed my mind. I have sold several used PC parts online and just never thought to look for something used myself. I just took a quick look on ebay and saw new q9550 going for under $200. Used ones had a pretty wide range. I guess I just never got into the whole bidding thing. Thanks for reminding me. :D
 
you can get a q9550 for about $170 new at microcenter... if you aren't around a microcenter then you could have someone the lives near one pick it up for you

I think you meant $270? That's the price at newegg and wiredzone.
 
I'd still like to hear about people's experience with these CPUs and I guess you could include the Q9550 in there too. Thanks.
 
I think you meant $270? That's the price at newegg and wiredzone.


Really? You think he was talking about newegg or wiredzone even though it clearly says Microcenter?

Its $150 at Microcenter but out of stock at the one closest to me. Not sure if they are getting new stock.
 
OK guys... let's keep it civil ;)

Although I can understand why he would think it was a typo. A retail store has it for almost half the price of e-tail... very impressive. As I said, I did see some on e-bay new starting around $165 and some used ones starting around $170. I just don't know if I wanna deal with the whole bidding thing :(

OK... I know none of you guys know me but, if someone lives near one of these apparently magical retail stores selling it for $150 and you are willing to grab me one... I would be willing to give you my $200 budget to cover the CPU, S&H (I don't mean next day... USPS would be just fine), and a small finders fee. Otherwise I guess I will be bidding or getting a Q9400.

Thanks.
 
Don't know if Microcenter cleared them all out, but when I check their site and set to the local Denver store, not even finding the Q9550 listed any more.....
 
Back
Top