On network: FAT32 shares hidden

perplex

Gawd
Hello, on my computer it is FAT32 and if i choose to share folders it doesnt show up on the laptop (on same network) which is NTFS. However if i share from laptop which is NTFS the FAT32 computer CAN view the shared items. Shall i convert the FAT32 partitions to NTFS to see if this works or is there another way? Me and my friends had this problem with my computer when we LAN'd up. I could see all shared items but they couldn't see my shared items even if i "shared" them :(

Call me stupid (hey, that was rhetorical) but I don't think the file system matters on a shared drive. Maybe something is wrong with permissions? Can you connect directly to the computer (\\computer)?

PS I think NTFS is better than Fat32 so if you can I would convert it.

I think its something to do with disabled windows services on the FAT32 computer. At the moment i'm just sharing the internet connection.

File system is irrelevant over the network. You could check your browser service in the services MMC snap-in. Try using the UNC path instead of using network places or you could even use the search function and search for the computer, either by NetBIOS name or IP if that doesn't work. It appears to be a browsing issue. File system is not important. I would however upgrade your file system to NTFS though.

i set them to be on same workgroup. could they need to be on a (same) domain too?

You're either in a workgroup or a domain, not both, so I'm confused by your question.

Well the fact he asked the question tells you he doesn't have a windows DC running, so no domain to worry about here I don't expect.

I'll not repeat my advice until you respond to it however that is probably your easiest solution.

DragonNOA1 said:
You're either in a workgroup or a domain, not both, so I'm confused by your question.

just a workgroup.

ktwebb said:
File system is irrelevant over the network. You could check your browser service in the services MMC snap-in. Try using the UNC path instead of using network places or you could even use the search function and search for the computer, either by NetBIOS name or IP if that doesn't work. It appears to be a browsing issue. File system is not important. I would however upgrade your file system to NTFS though.

sorry i dont really understand what your saying? i should check a windows service called "MMC" ? and i dont know what "UNC" is sorry :confused:

perplex said:
just a workgroup.

sorry i dont really understand what your saying? i should check a windows service called "MMC" ? and i dont know what "UNC" is sorry :confused:

What he means by using the unc is to try and access the shares via their UNC path = \\pcname\sharename

If using the PC's host name isn't working the next step is to use the IP address - \\my.ip.address.here\sharename

If that still doesn't work you've got a permissions error or don't have the shares setup correctly.

ok i tried UNC path but it asks for Guest username password. but i've never set such a password on the other computer.

perplex said:
ok i tried UNC path but it asks for Guest username password. but i've never set such a password on the other computer.

OK, then you've got a permissions issue. What username is being used to access the shares? If you are both using the administrator username, but different passwords there is your problem. You'll want to create a username/password combo on both PC's and use it.

If you don't want to use username/passwords you can enable the guest account on the host pc and give it rights to the share.

in My Network Places going into Microsoft Windows Network then my workgroup, it only shows up the current computer. so on this it shows my Laptop computer name. and on other computer it shows its name. I can share internet fine using wireless router, its just the file sharing i cant seem to get working :mad:

on the other computer can i rename the account so its same as this user account? or does it have to be a new account named the same as this user account?

strange this is... yesterday i'm sure the fat32 computer could see the ntfs shares on this laptop. but i couldnt see anything on this laptop. but now both cant see each other

on the main computer when i go into the workgroup i can see the laptop but i cant click on it. it says its not accessible, network path not found !

i dont think its anything to do with file system now. on this laptop i can see the other computer in workgroup in My Network Places but says it cant be accessed. this is so annoying, all i can do is share internet :mad:

It never had anything to do with the file system. Ever.
You've already been given the proper advice. Setup accounts on each machine that you want to use remotely to hit the shares. For example. You setup the user/pass combo of john/password on machine A. You share a folder called music. Since your running FAT32 (Convert to NTFS) your stuck with editing the share permissions. So add that account you created, the John account. Then setup an account for john on the other computer using the same password. John will then be able to get to that share you created locally. Obviously you can edit the existing accounts.

Windows networking is fairly easy and straightforward. I'd suggest you google windows network tutorial or walkthrough.

Back