• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

On Die Temp Probes FTL?

Arcygenical

Fully [H]
Joined
Jun 10, 2005
Messages
25,066
Alright, so this is how it is. First off, I've got an X2 3800 at 2.45 @ 1.45v. I've got nothing but my CPU on my water loop, which consists of a 120.2 BIP radiator and the pump (Tline).

If I leave my computer Idle for an hour my CPU temps in windows hover at 34c

If I leave my computer Idle in the BIOS for an hour my CPU temps are at 33c

If I double load the CPU with 2 instances of Prime95 (1 small 1 Blend) FFTs, SuperPI at 32M digits, and ATI tool running the 3d display (for graphics card load)... My processor runs at 36c (and 35c for core 2) after 4 hours.

Now, my question... How come my load temps are only 2c higher than my idle temps? And why are my idle temps fairly high for water? Note, My room temperature is a nice 20.05c (yay Atomic Clocks).

I guess this isn't really important, but I'm just wondering what all you think.
 
Ill be the first to state the obvious.

Did you try to re-seat the wb, to see if it helps?
 
water is more effective for removing heat from the cpu and since your not OC yet, it wont be much although it does seem like a too low jump
 
I'm using a DD TDX A64 block. Also, I've overclocked the FSB to 245 and upped the Vcore to 1.4 (from 1.35 IIRC).
 
FTL = for the loss?

Are on die sensors accurate with relative temps? I know they're usually inaccurate with absolute temps. For example, could they at least be used to compare the performance of one HSF to another when they're put in the same system?
 
CoW]8(0) said:
FTL = for the loss?

Are on die sensors accurate with relative temps? I know they're usually inaccurate with absolute temps. For example, could they at least be used to compare the performance of one HSF to another when they're put in the same system?
well, i'm taking it to mean for the loss........

some days my on-chip sensor thinks i idle at 0C some days at -14C and other at 256C.

an additional consideration is that if you take a look at systemcooling's numbers with their heat die, they show that an overclocked proc should see a difference of around 3C between the storm and the apogee. what do on-die sensors show? that they are within 1C of each other. some people have been walking away from that with notions along the lines of "when you're running a live CPU with an IHS the difference between the two is almost non-existant" whereas i walk away from it with the notion that "the on-board sensor doesn't tell you the specific temperature worth a damn, so don't rely on if for anything more than thermal shutoff protection"

as far as i'm concerned the OP's proc could really be at 30C idle as easily as it could be at what he is seeing. his load temps could just as easily be 40C as they could be what he is seeing.

you don't use big ben when you're timing the olympic 100m track final, you use a stop watch. big ben lets you know when it's time for tea. the stop watch lets you know who is really the best out there. you shouldn't use the onboard temperature sensor when you're evaluating two closely competing waterblocks, you pick a test method that is accurate and consistant.
 
Back
Top