On Call People - Holliday Compensation?

BootSector

Limp Gawd
For those of you that are on-call, are you compensated for being on-call over a holiday? Are you compensated for being on-call at all?

When I'm on-call I'm compensated 30 minutes of OT whether or not I take a call. I charge for any time over that amount if I take calls. I'm in a 4 month rotation with others, and on-call for the entire month. Double time for holidays. I love on-call months as I can make almost 3 paychecks that month. I'm also hourly. :D

When I take call, which is one week out of the month, I am paid an x amount of dollars hourly for the entire week I am on call wether I am called or not. If I do get called, I clock in and get paid for the time it takes to resolve the issue. The same applies during the holiday, except I am paid double (hourly) during any time spent fixing an issue on the holiday.

2 hours pay for non-weekend/holiday per day
4 hours pay for weekend/holiday per day

Extra if I am called at time and a half.

I'm on call every other weekend (24 hour manufacturing). I don't get compensated for being on call or even mileage for driving in when I have to (salary).

Yes, I'm hosed. Are you hiring?

When I left to visit one of our remote offices in NYC, I left on a Saturday. I got OT from the time I walked out the door of my house to the time I got to my hotel room in NYC. I love travelling for my Firm.

I get put on call at least 3 or 4 times a quarter. I don't get any extra compensation and I'm salary. It's bull.

We have roughly an 8 man rotation. We get nothing over for being on call at this time. We've talked circles around getting compensated, but nothing so far. I don't mind considering it's once every like 3.5 months

I service point-of-sale equipment. 24/7 365 every other week.
For either phone support or onsite support, I get 40% and my company gets 60%. The best example is clearing a paperjam (many of my customers don't know what needlenose pliers or phillipshead screwdrivers are for lol). If they insist on an onsite visit, I may end up billing close to $200 (afterhours labor & travel to remove an inch of register tape (hey, it's happened more than once). So, I end up making about $80hr, kinda nice, eh?

On my team we get regular holiday pay for actual time spent covering the holiday during the day on call shift, and two days off.

The one's covering the night time part of the shift get the same, even though they are on tap for 15 hours of the day rather than 9 hours.

Salary here as well. No extra compensation for being on call or taking calls, holiday or not, or driving into the office if it's required (though it rarely is).

They will occasionally toss us some comp-time if we get stuck with a lot of after-hours work, but it's hit or miss and never guaranteed.

I work Sun-Weds with every other Wednesday used for training. 7am-7pm shift... 52 weeks a year.
Holidays are comp'ed by getting the next training day off, and the job itself pays well enough to make up for the 12 hour shifts.

Prior position at same firm was 9-11 hour days 5 days a week with on call rotation. No comps, just a nice paycheck.

The thing that surprises me most about reading this thread is that I'm curious how many of you knew about the on-call support and didn't factor that into your salary discussions during hiring.

Salary here as well. No extra compensation for being on call or taking calls, holiday or not, or driving into the office if it's required (though it rarely is).

They will occasionally toss us some comp-time if we get stuck with a lot of after-hours work, but it's hit or miss and never guaranteed.

Pretty much this. My company has a policy where you can come in an hour late for each hour you're at the office after midnight, but my boss is flexible - if I'm there late, I can come in a bit late (even if its till 11 or something).

Ya I have to admit I never thought about talking about it with the bosses, but at the end of the day they are really flexable when it comes to stuff like this.. work on a customers stuff for a couple of hours take it up with them and head out a couple of hours early

The thing that surprises me most about reading this thread is that I'm curious how many of you knew about the on-call support and didn't factor that into your salary discussions during hiring.

Good point, you definitely need to consider after-hours and on-call hours when negotiating. Unfortunately for me, I was an internal applicant so I was told "Since it's internal, we can only give you x%." .... essentially 'Take it or leave it'.

No extra compensation for being on call or taking calls, holiday or not, or driving into the office if it's required (though it rarely is).

I think I jinxed myself. Got a call last night just before 7pm, conference call by 7:15pm, by 8pm I was at the office, and didn't get out of there till shortly before 4am.

When I take call, which is one week out of the month, I am paid an x amount of dollars hourly for the entire week I am on call wether I am called or not. If I do get called, I clock in and get paid for the time it takes to resolve the issue. The same applies during the holiday, except I am paid double (hourly) during any time spent fixing an issue on the holiday.

At my last job when I was hourly and on-call this is pretty much how it worked. A flat amount for being on call plus I clock-in whenever I did any work.

No compensation. I'm salary. If there's an emergency, I expect to be called in regardless of where I am or when. That being said, my position does not typically have a lot of calls. If I was being called off-hours more than once or twice a month I'd expect to be reimbursed either financially or with time off.

Back