#$%&^#$@!!! on board audio - DOA

BlindedByScience

More Human than Human
Greetings - I've got an older Gateway desktop I was prepping to give to a buddy that needs a machine (currently doens't have a PC). It's a 1.0 Gig P3 machine, with the Intel i810 chipset. It's a model E1600 XL.

Did a fresh XP-SP2 install on it, loaded the chipset drivers, the video driver, hell I even tried the Intel "application accelerator" drivers, and I can not get the damn on board sound to work. There is no driver for the sound hardware on the Gateway support site, nor can I find a driver anywhere that will make the on board sound work. I've tried several "AC97" drivers from DriverGuide, etc., most of which are simply "*.INI" files. But, every time when I try to do a "driver update", the process stops when it says it can't find a driver that matches the hardware. As listed in device manager, the sound device is:

"Intel 82801 BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller"

Anyone got an idea where I can find the correct driver for this, or can you point out what I'm doing wrong...??

Thanks in advance - B.B.S.

Tried that one, and it wouldn't load under the "driver update" applet......

Am I doing something fundamentally wrong? I tried using driver update and just "running" the *.INF file......

Thanks - B.B.S.

Back