• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

On-board 6150SE for PhysX?

I just bought a MSI K9N6PGM2-V2 motherboard. ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130241 ) It has an on-board nVidia 6150SE. I also bought a GTS 250 video card. Can I have them both operating at the same time and have the 6150SE handle strictly PhysX?

No, the 6150SE is a 6-series GPU, and PhysX needs an 8-series or higher GPU.

In addition, the power of onboard GPUs is not enough to perform PhysX fast enough for games (even the latest 9300/9400 GPUs). The borderline GPU for standalone PhysX right now is the 9600GT.
 
Too bad, he doesn't have slots to run another graphics card. Most of the 200 series card can run PhysX(and render) on the card fine. That 6 series onboard isn't gonna cut the mustard, OP.
 
Thanks guys for the information. I wasn't planning on SLI, and was trying to get the best ONE-TIME bang for my buck.

I bought a mint condition 1280x1024 monitor to game at 5:4. Yes, I lose wide-screen but at the same time, for $50 bucks, I get a high enough resolution so that my games don't look like completely ass.

I then bought just this weekend:

AMD 3.1 X2 550 BE (dual core, with possibility of unlocking two extra cores). I'll try to O/C it to 3.6GHz.
MSI Mainboard
4GB DDR3 RAM
nVidia GTS 250
160GB 7200RPM HD
24X DVD Burner
550W PSU with solid 12v rail
Case

All together, I spent $450 for the system, and feel I can get it running all my over-100 games at a decent frame rate with eye candy on at 1280x1024. Too bad the onboard 6 series chip won't power Physx alone, but hopefully, the 250 still can.

I'll post another thread showing the process of my gaming and its results. It was about the one-time bang for buck, and I challenge anyone else to put a build together more capable of gaming with new parts at the same price or less.
 
Not only does it have to be an 8-series or higher, but it has to be at least an 8600/9500, according to nVIDIA's website. They have a full list of supported Physx cards.
 
Back
Top