OMG you guys made me do it

Hagrid

[H]F Junkie
I kept hearing how good the 2500k is.............
and I had to try it for myself! My middle son is happy to get my 6 core amd. hehe
I am glad I kept the intel fittings for the Antec Kuhler... :)

You shouldn't have. The IB is on the corner and Haswell not too far as well.

^^ Debatable, Ivy purportedly runs hotter (especially overclocked), has a slight IPC benefit, but won't overclock as high on air. Depends what he needs. Shit, maybe he got in on a good Microcenter deal?

Last edited:
Debatable HMZ, Ivy purportedly runs hotter, has a slight IPC benefit, but won't overclock as high on air. Depends what he needs. Shit, maybe he got in on a good Microcenter deal?

How can Ivy run hotter when the thermals is listed at 77w compared to SB's 95w?

The chip is a smaller nm process (22nm). There is undoubtedly less area to dissipate the heat.This probably in conjunction with the Tri-Gate 3d transistors and higher voltages when overclocked. And I'm talking more overclocked in comparison to Sandy Bridge. I'm sure stock it's ok.

The chip is a smaller nm process (22nm). There is undoubtedly less area to dissipate the heat.This probably in conjunction with the Tri-Gate 3d transistors and higher voltages when overclocked. And I'm talking more overclocked in comparison to Sandy Bridge. I'm sure stock it's ok.
Interesting. Now I'll be looking forward to [H]'s review to see how it performs when OC'd. Thanks.

Ivy is not an upgrade over 2500K. Just isnt. Be happy w/ your chip.

Well technically it can be called that. Faster clock speed, higher IPC clock for clock, faster GPU clocks, but the 2500k really is a great chip.

I am so very close to doing the same thing, but dont have a huge need. I want an SLI board and dont have one, but my i7 860 @ 3.8 serves me pretty well. I just dont want to buy a new board without getting the CPU lol.

My antec 300 is also due for a change, and since I just got my SSD in and am going to be doing a clean OS install. So, I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on a 2500k, Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, Cooler Master HAF912 Mid Tower Case, Antec Kuhler H20 620 Water Cooling System, and PC Power and Cooling 950w Power Supply for $599.65 after tax at microcenter.

Yeah, tough decision with Ivy so close, but the ES chip, like others have said, was somewhat unimpressive. Just curious to see what it might do outside of the Z68 chipset with a release chip. Though hitting 30c higher temps, even as an ES sample, is very discouraging.

Ok well you canged over is that the end of the storie or you wanna let us know how it went for you. are you happy with the the intel rig does it perform for you as fast much faster or the same as your amd rig. Either way Im happy you have come to the intel side I love my 2600k but would like to know how your brand switch went

Ok well you canged over is that the end of the storie or you wanna let us know how it went for you. are you happy with the the intel rig does it perform for you as fast much faster or the same as your amd rig. Either way Im happy you have come to the intel side I love my 2600k but would like to know how your brand switch went

He thinks he went to mars and came back to earth. :p
AMD is dead,nothing there to see.

Yeah, tough decision with Ivy so close, but the ES chip, like others have said, was somewhat unimpressive. Just curious to see what it might do outside of the Z68 chipset with a release chip. Though hitting 30c higher temps, even as an ES sample, is very discouraging.

True reportedly when paired with a Z77, there is good gains to be had in gaming (noticeable).

Yeah, will be fun to play around with it. All of my current rigs, wifes, and the 3 kids are all AMD, so will be a change. :D
Even though my current cpu does all I need it to and more, but I guess a little [H] is needed sometimes.
Next will be video probably for an upgrade.

I forgot, I dont like to buy bleeding edge/new technology. The price is just too high for the small performance you gain.(usually)

I made a similar jump from the 1055T to the 2600K and I never looked back. Although, this was when SB was first released with IB far off in the distance. Still, I've welcomed the performance increase with the applications I use and it was totally worth it for me.

Enjoy it!

^^ Debatable, Ivy purportedly runs hotter (especially overclocked), has a slight IPC benefit, but won't overclock as high on air. Depends what he needs. Shit, maybe he got in on a good Microcenter deal?

A small part of me hopes this is true so that I'll have a good excuse to watercool :p
I'm upgrading to IB no matter what what.

Will Intel be launching an IB chip at the same price range as the 2500 or 2500K? I figured they would have a price premium for the newer technology. Microcenter had the 2500K for $149.99 over the weekend with a coupon and $50.00 off select Z68 motherboards. My friend bought his new chip and motherboard for under $200.00 on Sunday. There was even a mail-in-rebate on top of that.

I have been recommending many people pick up the 2500/2500K as it currently represents an amazing price/performance ratio, especially if you live close to a Microcenter. Even ordering online, the 2500K chips are under $200.00 and still out-perform the AMD chips in that price range for the majority of applications users will be running. From my perspective the 2500K is basically a low-end enthusiast chip with an upper-mid-range price point.

I say good choice Hagrid and welcome to the 2500K club!

The 6 core will go to my middle son, and the other extra pc can go into a project ill be working on. Im going to put a PC into a R-22 freon jug. :)

I didnt want to wait for IB since it doesnt seem like its going to be a must get. I just went with the 2500k because of all the reading, it realllllly made a difference in single/dual stuff.(which most games/apps are)
I didnt want to go with the current AMD lineup since it performed worse then the previous.

I do have no preference between Intel or AMD, just who has good price/performance.

How would it run hotter if it uses less power?

even it being on a smaller process, isn't the temps directly related to the power used? What kind of voltages/speeds have you been seeing and how many samples?

even it being on a smaller process, isn't the temps directly related to the power used? What kind of voltages/speeds have you been seeing and how many samples?

Future releases of IB will be better.
Simply these first chips were not 100% optimized. (ready)
They wanted to keep the lower TDP,that is why these first chips are hotter.

Last edited:
To say this more simple.
22nm = smaller
65W TPD power envelope
Higher clocks for more performance = More heat.

To say this more simple.
22nm = smaller
65W TPD power envelope

Your simply stating it utterly sinks your point.

"65W TPD" should read "65W TDP". Which completely refutes the point you were trying to make. TDP is the maximum amount of heat a given component is permitted to need to sink at a stock configuration. A 65W TDP part by definition has less heat to emit than a 95W TDP part...which by the way Sandybridge LGA1155 parts are spec'd at 95W last I knew.

So no, TDP does not prove Ivy runs hotter...in fact it proves that Ivy runs cooler, as it does not need to sink as much heat.

sometimes dynamics can be the opposite. :p
It does not always mean that something that runs at higher wattage produces more heat. ;)

I know that was high level things for you to understand what i mean. ;)
But i think you get the idea.

Your simply stating it utterly sinks your point.

"65W TPD" should read "65W TDP". Which completely refutes the point you were trying to make. TDP is the maximum amount of heat a given component is permitted to need to sink at a stock configuration. A 65W TDP part by definition has less heat to emit than a 95W TDP part...which by the way Sandybridge LGA1155 parts are spec'd at 95W last I knew.

So no, TDP does not prove Ivy runs hotter...in fact it proves that Ivy runs cooler, as it does not need to sink as much heat.

Ok since you are not answering to me let me try to explain what i wanted to say.
1st i said:

second i said:
To say this more simple.
22nm = smaller
65W TPD power envelope

So you see the connection between those two posts?
1st
In order to reach that 65W envelope you must fine tune the whole process.
Second
When you have reached that power envelope at that point you have a look at the heat that is produced.
That is why i said it was not 100% fine tuned (optimized)

ROFL.

This is hard forum! Unless your building a power saving server/htpc, how much power/heat doesnt matter.
Slap a fat HSF or water cooler on it and overclock it. If newer ones at the same performace run cooler, then all the more headroom to overclock. :)

ROFL.

This is hard forum! Unless your building a power saving server/htpc, how much power/heat doesnt matter.
Slap a fat HSF or water cooler on it and overclock it. If newer ones at the same performace run cooler, then all the more headroom to overclock. :)

:p
True but the initial question from a member was this:

Then the other guy jumped in to play smart. :p

True but the initial question from a member was this:

Then the other guy jumped in to play smart. :p

Yeah, i dont get involved in the technical aspects that much since if it works, it works.
Its usually good to let the product come out and then see how it goes from a reputable tester. Which is why I love [H]'s reviews.

Great upgrade. I went from a Q6600 at 3.6ghz to the 2500k and never looked back, it's definitely a beast of a overclocker. I just wish I did it sooner. Like you, I just finished this build last week since I was too impatient to wait for IB and microcenter gave me $80 off the motherboard. I did get a Z68 Gen3 mobo so that I could throw a Ivybridge on there later if I wanted to.

Ok since you are not answering to me let me try to explain what i wanted to say.
1st i said:

second i said:
To say this more simple.
22nm = smaller
65W TPD power envelope

1st
Second
When you have reached that power envelope at that point you have a look at the heat that is produced.
I don't think you know what you are talking about.

1st i said:

second i said:
To say this more simple.
22nm = smaller
65W TPD power envelope

1st
Second

That was the worst explanation I have ever seen on HardForum.

Maybe in the history of the internet.

Back