OMG!!! What's wrong with my WD Green drives? Seond failure in a week...

rmd3003

Limp Gawd
I'm really scared now. Week ago my 1TB WD green drive failed (installed in HP Mediasmart). Just sent it back. This morning my second drive is "failing" according to my WHS. A have total of 7 drives all bought within short period of time 18 months ago. Logic says that other five drives will follow their dead brothers:eek:.

Should I exchange my sealed 2TB green drives (four of them) I just bought for my new build? :eek:
If yes, what should I get? Seagate (well, you know). Hitachi (nobody knows)......

I was a big fan of WD and now this...............

Last edited:
It's possible you got some drives from a bad batch, you could have power issues killing the drives, or other environmental issues. I highly doubt though that ALL Western Digital Green drives are doomed to failure after 18 months. The Green series has been out now for over 2 years, if they all died like yours, there would be many angry customers, and the problem would be well documented. RMA the drives and go from there. If you really are afraid that the new drives are going to die as well, return them and accept the fact that hard drives die all the time, from every manufacturer.

Sorry if that came off as harsh, but it seems every week someone has a hard drive die from Seagate or Western Digital or Hitachi or Samsung; and then they go on to say they will never buy that brand again, how bad they are, how they have 'x' brand drive from 50 years ago that their grandfather carved out of wood and it still works, etc. Drives die, replace them and move on in your life.

I have 10 WD10EACS drives and have not had a failure yet. What PSU do you have?

1) How cool is your environment?
2) How hot are your drives running and how often are they being utilized?
3) If you're selling your 2TB drives, how much ;)

1) How cool is your environment?
2) How hot are your drives running and how often are they being utilized?
3) If you're selling your 2TB drives, how much ;)

They are in HP EX470 (mediasmart). Panel reports that all three of them are around 30C which is very cool. Thing is that they are on 24/7 (it's a server).

And no, I'm not selling my 2TB drives;)

I lost 3 of my 8 WD 1.5TB Greens at 36-38C within 14 days of burn-in/ stress testing. The 2TB Hitachis have been fine though.

Did you buy them from a retailer with bad shipping practices like Amazon/Newegg?

I would have thought the WD Green series drives are very reliable. Some people claim that the physical drive on the consumer grade Green is the same as the RE series enterprise drives. Also, the error rate on the WD Green is 1 sector in 10^15 bits, while most consumer grade drives are 1 in 10^14.

Statistically looking... yeah thats about what happened to me. I lost 2 of 8 during my initial stress testing and playing around with the array. And mine were 1TB FYPS = RE2 drives!
So I'm thinking, for you, the worse is over... but be prepared for unexpected! :(

I've stopped buying Western Digital drives. I've had several Raptors and their standard drives in the last 3 years or so that died on me.

What do you folks use for stress testing?

I have 6 EADS/EACS drives myself, no issues so far.

do each drive with a long surface test, trash the array for some time with benches and r/W tasks... than redo the long tests..
Use it that way for at leas a week... :)

The google white pages on drive failures says they all happen about equally over the millions of drives they have. It's not who, but when it fails.

I've stopped buying Western Digital drives. I've had several Raptors and their standard drives in the last 3 years or so that died on me.

What are you buying now? I've seen way too much trouble with Seagate's recent drives posted lately for me to consider them again any time soon (last drive that died on me was a 400GB Seagate also). At this point it would be Samsung or maybe Hitachi. I like what I've been reading about the Hitachi 2TB drives but the 5 platter design kind of scares me over the long term as they haven't really been out that long.

I can't wait until 2TB drives with dual 1TB platters :cool:

Back