OMG: Microsoft May Buy NVIDIA

i really doubt Microsoft is going to do this, microsoft gains nothing from aquiring a video card designer.

most likely a rumor started to try and boost nvidia's stock price.

yet it purchased skype.

...As for why Intel did not buy NVIDIA. They did not need to. They did a cross license agreement instead to get what they needed. Something AMD should have done as well.

AMD should've mad a cross-licensing agreement with Nvidia? Did you forget SNAP (Strategic Nvidia-AMD Partnership)? Even if AMD would've signed a full-on license agreement with Nvidia, it still would have fallen apart after the launch of Intel's Core 2 processors, just like SNAP did.

Anyways, AMD had no way to withhold an HT license from Nvidia, since it was no longer in AMD's hands to control it. The HyperTransport Consortium actually handles the licensing of HyperTransport, because AMD did not have the resources (or the clout) to 'pull an Intel'. An agreement as such would amount to a homicide-suicide situation for both Nvidia and AMD, because Intel would've snapped up ATi in a heartbeat.

As for Microsoft-branded phones/tablets, apparently MS may be in a position to buy Nokia's handset/tablet business, which as long as the 'portable devices' unit is managed similar as the Xbox unit, it will succeed, but, if it is managed like the Zune and Kin brands, well, you know how those turned out.

I honestly can't see why MS would give a crap about nvidia unless it was solely for their mobile and console divisions. And even then, it doesn't seem worthwhile, when a less expensive technology deal could be made. This rumor is a bunch of smoke.

Microsoft buying out Nvidia = Microsoft wanting to push console gaming further.

Microsoft buying out Nvidia = Microsoft wanting to push console gaming further.
That's practically 180 degrees off from what the option stated.

1. It's a clause from a XBox 1 supply agreement made over 10 years ago
2. The option states that if nvidia sells the company, MS has the option to buy it for a better price
3. This is so not any news at all since MS moved to ATI after its console troubles with nvidia (read: MS dumped nvidia and nvidia was happy with that) and nvidia is not up for sale anyways

:p

I really hope this doesn't happen. If it does Nvidia might turn out like RARE did. And lets not forget how M$ desecrated Shadowrun with their acquire of FASA Studios.

OP is retarded, and this thread is hugely misleading.

The contract in place has been in place for 10 years and exists solely to let MS have an opportunity to bid *IF SOME OTHER THIRD PARTY* tries to buy a controlling interest in NVIDIA. The reason is to make sure that when Microsoft designs products around NVIDIAs GPUs and SoCs, they don't get purchased by the competition and screw over supply for their device or console.

This has *nothing to do with a purchase and you will not see a Microsoft purchase period*.

i really doubt Microsoft is going to do this, microsoft gains nothing from aquiring a video card designer.

most likely a rumor started to try and boost nvidia's stock price.

Microsoft wins the next generation console market potentially. Do you know what brand video card is in the PS3 and what brand video card the PS4 is most likely going to use? I'll give you a hint. I starts with a big 'N'. ATI already has strong ties with Microsoft and Microsoft went with ATI for the xbox 360.

If ATI/MS had signed any kind of 'well make your xbox 720' video card deal -- but -- we want exclusivity as far as consoles go on --tech a, tech b and tech c--, MS buying nVidia would give Sony who to go to for their graphics card on their next console? Oh, that's right. Intel or using 'omgz, the power of the cell!' or come up with something brand-new themselves which starting from scratch would be extremely hard for Sony to do given nVidia/ATI's years of expertise.

So yes, if Microsoft did buy nVidia, Sony could be 'sol' in terms of graphics for the ps4. When you say, 'Microsoft has nothing to gain', I disagree. Microsoft has potential monopoly over the next-generation console market to gain.

yet it purchased skype.
Microsoft do have their own Windows Live Messenger, so its possible that Microsoft wants whatever technology Skype has to be integrated into their Windows Live thing

But nVidia and GPU is something that has nothing to do with Microsoft. While they do have xbox consoles, they only release a new console after 5 years or more, and development doesn't run continuously between each console, so its hardly practical to buy an entire GPU company just to come up with a new GPU every 5-10 years

OP is retarded, and this thread is hugely misleading.

The contract in place has been in place for 10 years and exists solely to let MS have an opportunity to bid *IF SOME OTHER THIRD PARTY* tries to buy a controlling interest in NVIDIA. The reason is to make sure that when Microsoft designs products around NVIDIAs GPUs and SoCs, they don't get purchased by the competition and screw over supply for their device or console.

This has *nothing to do with a purchase and you will not see a Microsoft purchase period*.

Don't waste your breath. Only two ppl in this thread actually read the article. Humanity is doomed.

Considering he posted this and never replied, Id agree.

We'll see what comes of this but I am liking this Microsoft! It's a return to old form which is what they needed for a long time. They are becoming aggressive once again.

Back