• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

OMG, I'm getting hacked!!!

Im guessing its fake too...

I suppose i could be wrong, but how often does a real program for hacking come right out with a pop-up message and be like "omg you have been haxored."

( + exageration)
 
eno-on said:
/edit : made mistake, nvsvc32 is fine, nvsvc is not.
You mean nvsc is a non legit prog? I do have some nvidia software installed; such as msi core center (for overclocking and temps).
 
eno-on said:
/edit : made mistake, nvsvc32 is fine, nvsvc is not.
You mean nvsc is a non legit prog? I do have some nvidia software installed; such as msi core center (for overclocking and temps).
 
I just scanned this thread so I dunno if this has already been state d or not. If you want to see if an svchost.exe is bad, then go to Start>Run> and type w/o quotes as usual "tasklist /svc"

And btw...to whomever said that keyloggers are of no use, well *I* have a legit use and I am in need of one and would like someone to PM me one that doesn't have bad stuff on it...

I am moving into an apt. at Disney World for 7 months and I'll be living with lots of ppl...I can't lock my door because someone else will be living in the same room as I most likely...I will have a webcam to detect any movement and have it record the movement...it's a decent form of security but all one owuld have to do is walk in with a towel over his/her head and move the webcam...well another form of security would be a keylogger...

I would use this to monitor if anyone uses my computer without my permission...I want it well hidden even if someone looks at the taskman...I don't give a shit if someone types their CC number and I have it recorded...I'm not a crazy person and I don't care about anyones personal information...all I care about is if someone starts typing at my computer and messes with my stuff...

See...so there CAN be a legit use for a keylogger if used in the right hands and my hands don't care if there's a bank account number and password with $490,839,2348,535.69 in the account...I'd most likely get caught and the feds would kik my ass and right now my ass already hurts...been sitting in this chair too long...I think it fell asleep...lol...

So PM me if you have any suggestions for me and BTW...to the OP, I wouldn't be too concerned...all looks fake IMO....but if you want more advise, then go HERE ...they are experts at this sort of thing...
 
to the OP: if i were you, i'd do a complete format (or zero the drive) and reinstall...it's not worth it if it actually is a malicious program, and not a hoax. and as for telling the hacker "guess what, your plan didn't work on me!"....well, that's like telling the opposing army "hey, you shot me but didn't kill me!". what do you think the opposing army is gonna do? they'll come back to finish the job...... :rolleyes:

remember this: anonymity is your friend....unless you know **exactly** what you're doing (which i'm going to assume you don't, since you're posting to an online forum for help), sending the hacker a message will only give him the info & motive he needs to select you as the #1 target on his shitlist.


to Metallica_Band: why even go through all that trouble with the keylogger? it's more work than is needed to secure your box.

Step 1: set a **good** BIOS password.
Step 2: set a **good** administrator & user account password.
Step 3: **DON'T** run your system 24x7 logged in as administrator if it's publicly (or even semi-publicly) accessible.
Step 4: **always** lock your workstation when you're not using it.

if they don't have access to BIOS or any accounts on the computer, guess what? it makes it a WHOLE lot harder for them to use your computer for anything at all, much less for nefarious purposes. sure, the steps above are not foolproof (and nothing is), but the average person will not bother with your system if there is another system that is easier to access.

it's kinda like locking the doors on your car and arming the alarm. will doing so absolutely guarantee that someone won't steal your car? no. will the would-be thief move on to an easier target? most likely.

usually the only time someone will persist to attack **your** box, even if you've secured it, is if they have some type of grudge against you.
 
xXaNaXx said:
to Metallica_Band:
Step 1: set a **good** BIOS password.
Step 2: set a **good** administrator & user account password.
Step 3: **DON'T** run your system 24x7 logged in as administrator if it's publicly (or even semi-publicly) accessible.
Step 4: **always** lock your workstation when you're not using it.

Elaborating on that, it's good advice, but why not make them different, so if someone figures out one by chance, they don't have immediate access to everything. Just seems like a good idea to me, especially if you want people not on your computer, it will make it just that much more difficult.
 
Rumrunner said:
You mean nvsc is a non legit prog? I do have some nvidia software installed; such as msi core center (for overclocking and temps).
nvsvc32.exe is legit
nvsvc.ece is not. it agobot
but you dont have that, as far as I cant tell. the nvsvc freaked me out for a sec though
 
Point, just because the program claims to be a keylogger, doesn't mean it is. It could be a prank or it could be an animal of a completely different breed such as a code red variant. Code Red ripped open a computers security and allowed other things to come aboard. All av software should detect any known variants. I stress the word KNOWN. Every day news viruses show up. Format and reinstall is my suggestion.
 
If you think you've been hit with the equivalent of a rootkit. Go download "Rootkit Revealer" from here. If nothing suspicious shows up, you don't have any processes running that are hidden from the process list.

More good info is available about rootkits from Microsoft's "Strider Ghostbuster" detection project.
 
xXaNaXx said:
Step 1: set a **good** BIOS password.
BIOS password is crap...even *I* can bypass a BIOS password...hell, you can even do it by only getting into the case
xXaNaXx said:
Step 2: set a **good** administrator & user account password.
Again...well...atleast on the ones before XP, they are easy to bypass...but I'm not sure about XP...never tried it out before...
xXaNaXx said:
Step 3: **DON'T** run your system 24x7 logged in as administrator if it's publicly (or even semi-publicly) accessible.
I always run my system 24/7...I have it do things when I leave...run tests, dl stuff, antivirus, defrag, etc...
xXaNaXx said:
Step 4: **always** lock your workstation when you're not using it.
How would I lock my workstation? Ummmm...what's a workstation?? The whole case?? I can't do that cause there's no ventilation...I've got a powerful PC and it needs cool air to survive the harsh FL heat...

I'm not saying that I won't do any of the above...but addding a keylogger doesn't create any kind of trouble for me...just dl, install, and run when I leave....it's just another layer of protection IMO...IF someone figures out how to bypass or hack my passwords, then I will at least have a little program hiding in the dark corners of my OS spying on who is messing with my computer...I'll at least know what went on when I was gone...
 
Metallica_Band said:
*Snip*
How would I lock my workstation? Ummmm...what's a workstation?? The whole case?? I can't do that cause there's no ventilation...I've got a powerful PC and it needs cool air to survive the harsh FL heat...

I'm not saying that I won't do any of the above...but addding a keylogger doesn't create any kind of trouble for me...just dl, install, and run when I leave....it's just another layer of protection IMO...IF someone figures out how to bypass or hack my passwords, then I will at least have a little program hiding in the dark corners of my OS spying on who is messing with my computer...I'll at least know what went on when I was gone...
XP Professional has a lock so you have to log back in. Windows Key - L, or CTRL-ALT-DELETE Lock Workstation. You really think a keylogger is gonna tell you who's on your box? If your worried about someone bypassing ordinary means, then I'm sure they can bypass a keylogger. ;) (I know I can...) Let alone boot Windows PE, or Knoppix, and party on a box. ;) If you want to run a keylogger go ahead,I just think it's kinda silly, since it won't prevent anything.
 
Metallica_Band said:
BIOS password is crap...even *I* can bypass a BIOS password...hell, you can even do it by only getting into the case
Again...well...atleast on the ones before XP, they are easy to bypass...but I'm not sure about XP...never tried it out before...
I always run my system 24/7...I have it do things when I leave...run tests, dl stuff, antivirus, defrag, etc...
How would I lock my workstation? Ummmm...what's a workstation?? The whole case?? I can't do that cause there's no ventilation...I've got a powerful PC and it needs cool air to survive the harsh FL heat...

I'm not saying that I won't do any of the above...but addding a keylogger doesn't create any kind of trouble for me...just dl, install, and run when I leave....it's just another layer of protection IMO...IF someone figures out how to bypass or hack my passwords, then I will at least have a little program hiding in the dark corners of my OS spying on who is messing with my computer...I'll at least know what went on when I was gone...

try reading what i said again a little more closely, you're missing my point altogether, on all counts.....

1) yes, the BIOS password is easy to bypass if you pull the BIOS battery or use the reset jumper, but the point is, *most* people (unless they have some kind of grudge against you, or at least very determined) are going to move on to an easier target. just because someone can easily bypass some security measure, doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. hell, maybe i'll just start leaving my doors at home unlocked, cause it's easy for someone to just smash in a window, right? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: don't make things easier for them......

2) yes, i know that for people who know what they're doing, and/or have the right tools available to them, it is easy to bypass the administrator password. but contrary to popular belief, *most* people don't carry hacking tools around with them everywhere they go.

3) i never said not to leave it running 24x7......i said don't leave it running 24x7 when logged in as administrator. there's a big difference. I run both of my computers 24x7. but if you're going to leave it running unattended, and it's publicly accessible, DO NOT leave it running under the administrator account.

4) if you have ever used WinXP (or NT or 2000 for that matter) and pressed ctrl+alt+del, then actually paid attention to what showed up on the screen, you would know what i meant by "lock your workstation". "workstation" is a generic term for your computer, it doesn't matter whether you use the computer for work or play. in any NT-based OS, if you press ctrl+alt+del, then "lock workstation", it locks out any user except for the user and the administrator. it will still leave any programs/processes running, you just have to provide the password to regain access to start using the computer again.

and to take this a step further, you should also not set your computer to login automatically, cause then all it would take is a simple reboot of the computer, and they have access again.
=====================================================
the point is, a keylogger is *not* security....at best, it's damage control. using a keylogger is similar to standing by and videotaping someone while they beat the shit out of your best friend. sure, you have evidence that they did it, but wouldn't it be better to stop them before it happens? hell, anyone with an OS that runs from a cd can simply reboot the computer, change the boot order to start from cd, then use the computer to their heart's content, and that keylogger is useless. the security steps i gave are a lot better than installing a keylogger and simply leaving the computer accessible to anyone who might walk in and use it. sure, you **might** find out what they did after the fact, but i prefer to do my best to stop them from using it in the first place.

anyone who is determined enough *is* going to find a way around almost any security measure you put in place, but that doesn't mean you don't put them in place. to leave it wide open just because there are ways around it is just plain stupid. if someone is **that** worried about someone using their computer, then sell the desktop and buy a laptop, and take it with you everywhere you go. that's the only 100% positive way to prevent them from using it without your knowledge.

ever heard the phrase "an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure"?
 
Its going to be OK; please take a few steps back from the computer.

Pick up you phone and call the Best Buy Geek Squad

Peace in the Galaxy will be restored.
 
j4zzee said:
Its going to be OK; please take a few steps back from the computer.

Pick up you phone and call the Best Buy Geek Squad

Peace in the Galaxy will be restored.
The Geek Squad is considerably less able to help fix the problem than the guys here. However, if all you want them to do is reformat, then they should be able to handle that.
 
GreNME said:
The Geek Squad is considerably less able to help fix the problem than the guys here. However, if all you want them to do is reformat, then they should be able to handle that.
yes... a high level and low level format is in order...
the Geek Squad Agent will sit on the floor while performing the low level format..
 
Couple of things here. First, there are legit uses for keyloggers (on my machine I may want to log each keystroke, why? it's my machine, it's not inherently bad to run a keylogger, it's just an app.), there are many more less-than legit uses so it gets a bad rap.

Two, I didn't make that program. ;)

Three, analyzing the processes is necessary to actually determine if this is an unknown code not being picked up by 3rd paryt tools. Process explorer, tasklists views, msconfig, etc. will help there. Small trojans are relativly easy to write, you give them auth. to run, so no exploit is needed, it would just be an app. running at that point. Making it run as svchost takes a bit more skill, but not that much...

Finally, there is always one way to be sure.
"I say we dust off; nuke the site from orbit - it's the only way to be sure."

Pick your poision. :)


 
Goride said:
Im guessing its fake too...

I suppose i could be wrong, but how often does a real program for hacking come right out with a pop-up message and be like "omg you have been haxored."

( + exageration)

Someone got in on one of our servers through an open FTP port. On reboot the server would start the Windows opening splash screen then the screen would turn all black with big red "FU*K THE USA" letters on it. Far as we could tell it did no other harm. Easily removed (had installed itself in one of the registry "RUN" keys).

Odd thing was the servers are inside a Cisco PIX firewall. We almost suspected an "inside" job.
 
Back
Top