OMG, I Fried My 6600GT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
fuck dudes, story.

i was playing some bf2 right, and my computer shuts off. IMMEDIATELY i smelled smoke and i was like oh my fucking god im gunna burn the house down! i un plug it, more smoke, i thought it was the psu, but what i saw stopped me dead in my tracks... a BLACKENED BFG 6600GT. a $250 card gone. i noticed my psu mobo connector lying right on the burnt spot. i was like omfg. i try booting, no image on screen. congratulations i killed my first graphics card.

ok, for oc, i had it running at 574/1072 the normal is 550/1050 so it wasnt the oc. i will post pics tomarrow as my parents r pissed because the entire house smells from the smoke.

i got the card like 3 weeks ago, so i just call bfg, explain what happened and they send me new one? im still shocked as it was fine all day, fucking pissed right now.

dude like whoa ! thats insanse like oh my god.

dude that sucks like totally.

sad indeed did u call the customer service

Ouch man, sorry to hear. I never lost a video card, but obviously it sucks to be out of so much money. I don't think BFG will cover it though, I thought they only covered it up to their factory-OCed levels...could be wrong though. How long did you have it OCed?

Sorry man that sucks.

When I first bought my Enermax 550w for my P4 it fried itself upon start-up, yes literally fried my room was filled with smoke within 5 seconds. Talk about scary, but miraculously it didn't fry any other of my components. Took it back to fry's ( :rolleyes: ) and got a replacement. Everything was fine since then.

Well its OCed out of the box by BFG, so it's obviously covered to those levels. I'm guessing that if you overclock it past those levels the warranty is voided...only logical.

Uh. No one covers their cards if you take it beyond what they spec for it.

And gee, You use a cheap PSU and wonder why shits blowing up left and right?

Well if it burnt because you had a metal connector touching the top of the card I don't think they will give you a new card.

You said your PSU mobo connector was on the burnt spot so did it like short the card? The pics should be intresting. :p

im glad these forums cheer me up. shit, how would bfg know i oc it? i havent been running it oc'd since today but fuck man why!?

i didnt cheap on the psu, an antec true 480, its the cable. ill have to post pics 2marrow so u guys can help.

omg, if they dont give me anotherim not going back to the x300. omfg, $250 down the drain, + i have no fucking money, i bought new $17 fans x 2, right after my sound card. sry if i seem really pissed but who wouldnt? man, if i cant play bf2 again...dam

i doubt that such a minor overclock was cause for the card literally burning up. video card warranties are voided by damage CAUSED BY overclocking or unauthorized modification. in this case, i don't see how the overclock was possibly the cause for failure, so i doubt the warranty is void. best idea would be to come clean to bfg and see what they say about it.

symptoms of an excessive overclock include artifacting and instability, not the card literally burning. something else is wrong.

If you want to cheat and if you did in fact OC it past the out of the box OC then just lie when they question you.

Basically the same thing happened with my 6600gt. Except I didn't lie. They basically just get some info from you (PC specs, What you were doing, How long You Have Had It, etc.) Then they will give you a RMA number. You have the option of having them send you an pre-paid envelope, which upon sending back your card they will send you a new one. Or you can pay $10 and they will send you one right away and then you send your broken one back with a prepaid box they send with your new card.

You paid $250 for a 6600GT? You deserve for it to burn up on you.

I'm halfway serious, but kidding you some... sorta.

Just come clean to them about it, you did OC it and that is grounds for voiding the warranty, but they may still replace it.

Skrying said:
You paid $250 for a 6600GT? You deserve for it to burn up on you.

I'm halfway serious, but kidding you some... sorta.

Just come clean to them about it, you did OC it and that is grounds for voiding the warranty, but they may still replace it.

I spent that much for mine. Then again that was back in December...

Z(+)DIAC said:
If you want to cheat and if you did in fact OC it past the out of the box OC then just lie when they question you.

Basically the same thing happened with my 6600gt. Except I didn't lie. They basically just get some info from you (PC specs, What you were doing, How long You Have Had It, etc.) Then they will give you a RMA number. You have the option of having them send you an pre-paid envelope, which upon sending back your card they will send you a new one. Or you can pay $10 and they will send you one right away and then you send your broken one back with a prepaid box they send with your new card.

thank you so much for that info, appreciated

I don't think it's easy to find out if it's OC'ed or not. So warranty is still there if hes lucky.

you know there is a BFG employee on this board so i think they'll know you did OC it now LOL :p

DieHard007 said:
you know there is a BFG employee on this board so i think they'll know you did OC it now LOL :p

haha im screwed lol

the cards retail value is $250, bb had it for $170 w mir's but i aint got them yet

dont tell the truth just lie. They will probably try to get out of replacing your video card anyway possible.

crazyvato said:
dont tell the truth just lie. They will probably try to get out of replacing your video card anyway possible.

I'm glad to see parents are still teaching morals to their children this day and age.

Komataguri said:
I'm glad to see parents are still teaching morals to their children this day and age.

Isn't it though?

I like threads like these, I always add about 6 people to my ignore list. Makes it real easy when dealing in the FS/FT forum and when seeking advice in the other forums.

yes must see pics

speaking of fried transistors, my old hs uses (finally will be getting rid of next summer) original Slot A Athlons @ 750Mhz with an Abit board. well, one day i turned one of them on (it was in the back room becuase it was broken) to find out why it was broken. i smelled smoke so i thought it was the power supply (normal thinking) and the smell came from around that area. not the ps. looked behind the cpu between that and back ports and what to my wonder was a fried tranny with fried silicon beneath it raising it up about 1/2 inch. black all around it and black spots underneath the board. as you rip the tranny off, you can hear the crunching of the silicon as it rips. awesome...simply awesome.

I had to rma my geforce 6800gt. I told the guy that I overclocked...he just said "I will pretend you didn't tell me that." Sent me a new one as soon as they received mine. :)

Komataguri said:
Uh. No one covers their cards if you take it beyond what they spec for it.

And gee, You use a cheap PSU and wonder why shits blowing up left and right?

Pardon?? SInce when was an Antec 480TruPower a 'cheap' PS??

As someone has so abley said before.....

Reading comprehension... it's your friend.

QJ

I'm also waiting for the pics. But wow man, that sucks big time. A mild OC shouldn't fry anything. It's wrong but just lie and say you never oc'ed it, I bet the PSU fried and took the card with it or something like that. That said, make this a lesson in your life, don't OC anything you can't afford to replace.

QwertyJuan said:
Pardon?? SInce when was an Antec 480TruPower a 'cheap' PS??

As someone has so abley said before.....

Reading comprehension... it's your friend.

QJ

And who said anything about Antec?

He said Enermax.

Tiny said:
Isn't it though?

I like threads like these, I always add about 6 people to my ignore list. Makes it real easy when dealing in the FS/FT forum and when seeking advice in the other forums.

I think honest people are a dying breed.

Which is easy to understand, since us honest people tend to get screwed over more because we're not willing to lie, cheat and steal to get what we want.

threadworthlesswithoutpicssmileys.gif

Komataguri said:
And who said anything about Antec?

He said Enermax.

Actually he never SAID what type of PS he had(go back and read his posts if you don't believe me) but if you will look at his sig, you will see that he in fact owns an Antec 480TP

QJ

alright, i got the pics sorry it took so long, but this happened at 9:30 at night, whole room/house fucking smelled like smoke, and i just killed a $250 card! there was definately i fire now that i examined it lol. i dont see how an oc can do this, it looks like something exploded er something.

my psu (no its not an enermax, i said antec) isnt fried as i put my x300 back in and im on the computer right now typing this.

any ideas on what happened?

That sucks, but it's part of OC'ing. You shouldn't RMA it, unless you were allowed to OC under warranty.

Just out of curiosity, how do they determine if you fried it overclocking? It really looks like your 6600GT was toasted by a crappy power supply.

Also, it is not prudent to overclock parts you can't replace. It is not prudent either to buy $150 cards for $250, but never mind that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back