• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

OMG cant decide.....

Corban227

Gawd
2FA
Joined
Dec 2, 2009
Messages
956
ok so ive been looking at headphones for hours now.....
my budget is right around 100 dollars and im stuck between:

audiotechnica ATH A700
Sennheiser HD 280
Audiotechnica ATH AD700
Sennheiser HD 555

im leaning mroe towards the closed cup because my room mates can be loud sometimes, but having never owned any high quality open or closed cups i have no idea what to expect, know what im get or know what to want. My first choice was the HD 280 cause i read reviews saying the blocked out quite a bit of sound and reproduced audio quality of songs well, but i couldn't find anything on bass. i like having a pair of cans that can hit the lows strong if need be (i.e. gaming).

RIght now i have the JVC HA RX700, which i love for listening to music and a lot of gaming. they have very strong highs and mids but very little bass which is what i find myself missing in them. i would liek to keep the clairity i get with these headphones.

which would be best to get?
 
IMO, the HD555 then A700. I've had the AD700 was not happy with it one bit, I'd assume the closed version would be a little better, but either way, I'd still pick the HD555 first.

Another option is the DT770 (which would be my first pick in that price range).
 
the dt770 is nearly double the price of most of the headphones he listed
 
Did you check headfi forum for the mod you can do to the JVC's headphones?

Just my opinion, I think it would be such a waste of money to get any of the 4 headphones listed, I don't think you will hear much difference over the RX700's.

If I was you I would save up some more and get a pair of headphones from a higher price bracket :)
 
Since you mention roommates you probably want a closed phone. Bass tends to be better on closed phones as well.

So you are between the 280 and A700. I've owned the A700 and you wont go wrong there. I liked them enough to upgrade to A900s. They arent however bass-heavy phones. It plays whatever bass is in your music, it doesnt add some extra bass in there for the hell of it.

Either is probably a good choice.
 
How are the bass levels in general? i mean how would hip hop, rap, drum and bass music or something of that genre sound? would the bass be strong enough to do the music justice?

also someone mentioned a higher price bracket would be better. if i were to invest 100 more dollars, what would be a good closed can to get? (puts the budget around 200) i wouldnt be able to buy right now, but if it would be worth it, as far as sound quality difference, i would not mind waiting another month to get the phones.
 
also someone mentioned a higher price bracket would be better. if i were to invest 100 more dollars, what would be a good closed can to get? (puts the budget around 200) i wouldnt be able to buy right now, but if it would be worth it, as far as sound quality difference, i would not mind waiting another month to get the phones.

DT770 in that case, without question. Closed and they are bass monsters.
 
I have HD280s and most of all I would call them "accurate". They do not lack bass, nor do the emphasize it. They are more than capable of reproducing low frequencies at high volume, if that's what they are fed. They are intended for studio use mainly, and have excellent isolation considering their weight. They are also pretty durable in construction. I am pretty happy with mine, had them for about 2 years now and take them almost everywhere I go.

Dustin
 
I'd absolutly echo the DT770's. You can go without an amp if you purchase the -80ohm varient (but sound ALOT better amp'ed). Takes about 200 hours for them to be well broken in, but it's absolutly worth it IMO. Your initial opinion will be of high / tinny treble, and sloppy bass response that overwhelms the low end of your mids. It will completely tighten up with a few days worth of white noise.

Google around and research to see if you can get a good pair used, or a place that is running a sale on them.

That's how I started off.. then when to a Headroom Mini Amp.. then the Mini DAC.. then to a Denon D7000's with and Audio GD Compass DAC / Amp... funny how things evolve.
 
I would mark off any open cans from Audio Technica. They are the opposite of what you want. They don't block out sounds at all, you can have conversations with others while wearing them. Also the bass is not boomy at all.
 
Any of those on your list is fine for gaming, except the HD555. Highs are mellow and rolled off, soundstage is meh, very very overrated for gaming when in reality it sucks at it compared to the other choices.

And yes, I have heard all of them except the AD700's which are supposedly more open and have a larger sound-stage than the closed A700's.

If you can swing it, go for the DT770's as already mentioned. They will probably do everything you want but will cost a bit more than $100 unless you get them used.
 
Anyone use the akg701/2 for gaming?

I use K701 for gaming. Simply put: Amazing headphones with the right amplifier. Fortunately for me, I have the HEED Canamp. :D

But now I will be moving on to bigger and better headphones: Denon D7000!!!

Have yet to receive it, but I have tested it during a headphone meet and I love the sound and quality of the build and audio fidelity.
 
I have the ATH AD700. They sounds great amped and straight off my Zune HD.

However be warred. Others can hear your music very clearly in a quite area and when wearing them you can hear outside noise very clearly. I like them because when wearing them in the house I still hear the kids if they call, or my wife when she talk to me. Half the time I dont take them off just turn the tunes down to talk with her.

they are extremely comfy,
 
I think the ATH-M50 would suit you well.

i acctualy migh end up going with these. they seem pretty good, unless the consensus is that the senheiser 280s are better.

but i just thought of a good question:

if money was no object, what would be the most reasonable headphones to get for someone who does not edit audio or work on the side as a DJ? by reasonable i mean the best performance all around but with out going overboard on non-essential "perks"
 
the stax 2050a or 303's systems with the headphones and amps would be best without going overboard.
 
I would say the K702, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, or Denon D7000. You will need a good headphone amp with these though so that might end up being about double the cost. I had the K701 which were great headphones, but I have upgraded to the Denon D7000. I actually also want a pair of DT880 Manufaktur to complete my final headphone purchase. The only additional things I might buy is a better headphone amp. But the HEED Canamp is pretty amazing already.
 
Back
Top