Oldest CPU pairing with a 1070/1080 GTX?

yes, it's a real cpu, just a bit higher stock clocks than the Q7600. and there is another Core 2 extreme with Xx7700 in the name iirc.

I can't remember that exactly, but it was that the other Socket 771 C2Q before the QX9775?..

That's a CPU I've never heard of or seen.... Neat.

Although 1.25v looks like a crazy high voltage for stock. (it's what, 90nm?)

45nm.. voltage is good. remember that older CPUs used to use lot of voltage, those with higher multiplier even more.. specially if no power saving and C states aren't enabled which was somewhat typical to be required by older tech to overclock and be fully stable...

6700K....i am bottlenecked by CPU in many games even with a 4.8GHz HW and a 4.8GHz SKL.

If a came is single thread it will be guaranteed to be CPU limited. If you only play COD/BF its not a major deal but if you play anything that isn't top notch AAA+ game.....you need the best CPU possible.

I just got a 1070 finally.

I posted this in the hot deals section and didn't want to re-upload all the pics here.

You can see my current system is rather old, except now the gpu. I'll be buying the rest throughout the year.

It arrived! Looks like it's never been used. Only thing I see is the serial number sticker is up on one side.
View attachment 20508
View attachment 20509
View attachment 20510

I just ran heaven on my old card and then this card for comparison. Holy crap!

I came from a GTX 570...
Here are the comparisons:

570.png 1070_1.png 1070_2.png

Is anyone pairing an older CPU to their newly purchased 1070 or 1080 GTX than in my case? (Q9550 from 2010)

My system was built in 2007 and the motherboard is just as old. I started out with the Nvidia 8800 for 4 years before jumping over to the 5850 for 3 years. I used the R9 280 for 2 years and it was a big jump over the 5850, but it is currently being switched out right now for the 1070 GTX. I'm sure plenty of people will say I'm being limited by my CPU. But if doubles my gaming fps, why not!
Have you try that?

Gave my brother my old 2600K setup. He has a 1080 in it. Seems to run buttery smooth. I'm on a 3930K with a Ti and I don't feel bottlenecked.

I am running an i7 2700k at 4.7GHz. I am very happy about the results I've been able to get from my upgrade to a 980ti (basically 1070 performance wise). Doom in nightmare texture on 3440x1440 was well above the 60fps playable rate.

This is a video showing how that you really don't get much with Skylake. We see mayhbe 15% improvement at 1080p going from Sandy Bridge to Skylake, and you are a bit CPU bound only at the level of 1070/980t)

Intel has to hate that video. I was a little concerned that my new 1080 ti was going to be significantly hobbled with my i7-3770K, but it it doesn't look like it's going to be as bad as I was assuming.

I'll still want to upgrade my CPU, motherboard and RAM at some point but right now I think I can afford to see what's going to be next and either pick up the 7700K at a discount or just move to the latest and greatest. Thanks again for that video!

X58 with 3 way SLI is the oldest I would run because it has enough balls for Crossfire or SLi with PCI Express 2.0 and full 16x by 16x by 8x .. many run 32nm Xeon 6 cores on this platform now as my X5660 is clocked at 3.7 and turbo to 4.1Ghz and offers many different ways to how I want the cpu to run as no turbo and max all cores to 4.4Ghz with or without HT and the ram is triple channel DDR3 , it was build for Eyefinity with 3 x 1080p gaming like iRacing Sims.

Wow this thread is full of CPU bottleneck BS.

Your CPU bottleneck depends on what you do. Gaming in general paired with a modern card has found they perform quite decently. Since the op is asking about pairing modern GPU with old CPU, I'll guess gaming was his concern.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7003/the-haswell-review-intel-core-i74770k-i54560k-tested/6

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/16

Games tested there show that in a GPU limited scenario, the CPU's are neck and neck. It's not too often you find GPU's being significantly held back by CPU tech. We've known this since Intel released the first i7 awhile ago, they have not gained on the gaming front that much. The [H] has comparisons of the X58 to Sandy Bridge, and Sandy Bridge to Kaby Lake. Heck read up on the X58 enthusiast thread to get a feel about old cpu/new gpu tech.

If you start testing CPU, clock for clock, ie say compare Core2Quad @ 3.6 with anything today at 3.6, you will find the delta shrink a lot in gaming scenarios gaming wise. I have a 1080 which I've paired with a 4.0 920 and my current 5.0 7700. The results are pretty much dead even for gaming. So unless you're looking for new tech, usb 3.1 support, thunderbolt, m.2, optane etc, invest in some good cooling, overclock the CPU to a decent amount and enjoy a modern video card.

Last edited:
I was in a similar boat with you when deciding to upgrade my wife's rig to a 1070 or 1080 from an R9 270. She currently has an i4670K on an ASUS Z87a, and we're shooting for 60+ fps on highest setting in simple games like overwatch on a 1440p 144hz display. Decided to just upgrade the GPU and see how it goes first. Will report back with if it was a success or not once completed.

its not going to be a hard bottleneck. its about how much of your $500 gpu purchase will be experienced. digital foundry already has plenty of published videos that show a 2500k trailing an i5 6500 by at least 10% at 1080p while in some games the delta grows 20+ frames. that core 2 quad is going to be even further behind. its like spending that 500 bones but only getting 350 bones worth of performance. ultimately, if the op is pleased with whatever performance improvement they are experiencing, then the purchase was worthwhile but the sooner they upgrade their computing platform, the more they'll benefit from that $500 gpu purchase.

Why is this old thread still going lol.

Relative to the topic, and the many Sandy Bridge posts, I just went from a 2600k @ 4.9 to a 1700x at 3.95 and it smokes that old CPU in 4K resolution.

Sigh, it's a GTX 770 4GB GPU though. I only play 2K17.

Back