Older Rig - Potential Upgrade Options

jhzero1984

Limp Gawd
Hi All,

With my work schedule finally coming back to reality, I'm getting back into gaming again. I mostly play MMOs (STO until Elder Scrolls Online or something else comes out) and the occasional game of Company of Heroes, but will play more once CoH 2 is released. Right now, I've got the following rig:

Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 mobo
Intel i5-750 (2.66 Ghz)
4GB DDR3 1600 G.SKILL Ripjaws ram
EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ (512MB)
WD Black 640GB 7200 rpm SATA HD
Corsair HX750 (750W) power supply

I've noticed that the system feels a bit lacking in current games and I'm concerned that I really will be pushing it once I get into any new games. Plus, I got a bit of an itch to updgrade. I'd like to spend around $300. What do you all recommend that would be the most efficient use of my cash to maximize my upgrade? My feeling is get 8 or 16 GB of ram and a new vid card, but I'm not sure if I'll be bottlenecked by something else in my rig.

Thanks,
Zero

I'd say the video card is probably the biggest bottleneck you've got in that system right now. Most of your components actually look pretty decent, but more RAM would definitely help (just be aware of the caveat that you need to be running a 64-bit OS to recognize any RAM beyond around 3.6GB.) For around $300, I'd go with something like a GTX660 video card (around $200) and 16GB of RAM DDR3 (a bit under $100.) Not sure what the Radeon equivalents are in the video card department, I'm sure someone else could help with that.

Thanks. I should have noted that I'm running Win7 Pro 64 bit. That should clear up the ram limitation.

Back