Older monsters NEC LCD2490WUXi, PA241W vs. new offers

Elix

n00b
Konnichiwa, mina-san! Right now I am on the fence on choosing a monitor for color-critical work. I have three options:

1) Heavily-used 5 y.o. NEC LCD2490WUXi (380$)
2) Lightly-used 3 y.o. NEC PA241W for the same $$
3) Brand new Dell U2413 for 80$ more

I have read many reviews on each monitor but still can't make a decision. How would the new GB-r-LED monitor compare to older CCFL ones? Will I be sacrificing anything besides A-TW polarizer (in case of LCD2490WUXi) in choosing a newer monitor for color-critical work? Is there anything better than Dell U2413 in this price category?

I have read on this forum that NEC LCD2490WUXi is still the Holy Grail of LCD monitors in many areas. However, I sense that these opinion are quite biased and things might've changed in the past 5-8 years.Things I am concerned about older CCFL monitors are: longivity of CCFL tubes (yellow cast?), high-pitched noise, PWM flicker. However, picture quality is paramount and comes first for me.

Any opinion will be appreciated.

if you are interested in the NEC, I have one sitting in my basement, it was lightly used, its like brand new, I still had to use 20% brightness to keep the brightness down, it hasn't degraded one bit.

let me know if you're interested, I can go lower than $380 if you interested.

if you are interested in the NEC, I have one sitting in my basement, it was lightly used, its like brand new, I still had to use 20% brightness to keep the brightness down, it hasn't degraded one bit.

let me know if you're interested, I can go lower than $380 if you interested.
That's generous, but I am located outside of the US, I'm afraid. What monitor do you use currently, and why's NEC sitting in your basement right now?

I have owned two NEC LCD2490WUXi's. The first one I bought new and later sold it because I was in a period when I did not have much need for it. I shouldn't have sold it. It calibrated well and was still nearly new. I later bought a P241W. I found the W-LED harsh and bluish and after about two weeks of putting up with it, I sold it. I later found another 2490 with low hours and have kept it. With a lot of patience, you can still find them on Ebay, though finding a low-mileage one gets harder over time.

That's generous, but I am located outside of the US, I'm afraid. What monitor do you use currently, and why's NEC sitting in your basement right now?

ohh forget it, I'm in US, I switched to 144hz IPS 1440p Gsync monitor.

I had no need for the NEC anymore.

I have owned two NEC LCD2490WUXi's. The first one I bought new and later sold it because I was in a period when I did not have much need for it. I shouldn't have sold it. It calibrated well and was still nearly new. I later bought a P241W. I found the W-LED harsh and bluish and after about two weeks of putting up with it, I sold it. I later found another 2490 with low hours and have kept it. With a lot of patience, you can still find them on Ebay, though finding a low-mileage one gets harder over time.
Thank you for your valuable comment! I was interested in the CCFL vs. W-LED comparison in particular. But I was talking about newer GB-r-LED monitors. They don't use blue LED backlight with yellow phosphors so I wonder whether their spectros compare favorably with CCFLs or not.

Back