older computer does not want to post

Hyper_Psycho

2[H]4U
My dad's old rig refuses to post. Nothing shows on the screen when its turned on. I've installed a PCI express card and still nothing. Used the reset CMOS pin, nothing. Unplugged the memory, no beeps. Unplugged everything but the power supply, nothing.

The computer is fairly old and is running an off brandbmobo with a and 64 processor. The computer turns on just fine, so I've ruled out the psu being broken.

Any thoughts in what I can do are greatly appreciated.

Yank everything out of the case and perform a bare bones boot test.

Basically -- yank the motherboard out and leave only a CPU, one stick of ram, and video on it. Place the board on a NON-CONDUCTIVE SURFACE and attempt to boot it while it's out of the case. If it doesn't boot there, it's probably toast.

What you've done there is eliminate the possibility of a bad drive or other add-in cards preventing a successful POST. It also eliminates the possibility of a short against the motherboard tray preventing a good POST.

Best of luck -- but it may be time to invest in a new system. :)

Yank everything out of the case and perform a bare bones boot test.

Basically -- yank the motherboard out and leave only a CPU, one stick of ram, and video on it. Place the board on a NON-CONDUCTIVE SURFACE and attempt to boot it while it's out of the case. If it doesn't boot there, it's probably toast.

What you've done there is eliminate the possibility of a bad drive or other add-in cards preventing a successful POST. It also eliminates the possibility of a short against the motherboard tray preventing a good POST.

Best of luck -- but it may be time to invest in a new system. :)

Thanks. I'll try it tomorrow and see what happens.

This is my dad's old setup and I'm going to give it to my aunt. I've built him a new i7 based computer. I'm sure he'll love it.

Thanks. I'll try it tomorrow and see what happens.

This is my dad's old setup and I'm going to give it to my aunt. I've built him a new i7 based computer. I'm sure he'll love it.

Popped out the mobo and connected it to a new psu and still no sounds and no displays. Looks like it's toast... RIP crappy amd64 mobo ...

Back