(old) XP pro tcp/ip major issue

CleanSlate

Supreme [H]ardness
I get an error on the connection of a of a lan card to my work's internet connection saying something like "IP can not be assigned from the router". There are many other computers being hooked up and unhooked up all the time without much issue.

I have tried everything with this system. I re-installed SP3, I reset the connection, deleted winsock and winsock2 in the registry and reinstalled them on the connection... I mean it just seems like there is something else going on that I'm not sure of. IPCONFIG shows NOTHING when I type it into the command prompt.

There are multiple air card connections installed on the machine but no air cards are in use atm.

I guess I should try deleting all the air card connections.

I'm at a loss here guys, any suggestions?

I mean, I need it to work on all internet connections as I would move it around a lot. Just setting some random ip wouldn't be very smart, would it?

You mean IPCONFIG shows absolutely nothing??? like it just returns with a prompt without displaying any information whatsoever?

If that is the case, some serious TCP/IP issues are happening with that PC.

Have you tried resetting the tcp/ip stack?

command prompt --> netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

If that doesn't fix it, go into the network card settings in control panael and make sure that TCP/IP is installed. If not, add it, if it is, remove it and then re-add it. You may want to remove and re-add "Client for Microsoft Networks".

If that doesn't fix it, try updating the network card drivers.

A few questions while I am at it - are you plugging into a known working port? What about the cable, is is definetely good?

Are the light(s) on the network card blinking? If not, either the card is dead, the cable is dead, or the port on the wall is dead.

If the port on the wall is dead, you will want to make sure that it is actually connected to a port on a switch in whatever room the wire from the port goes to.

I mean, I need it to work on all internet connections as I would move it around a lot. Just setting some random ip wouldn't be very smart, would it?

static IP is NOT the answer here..... get it working propwrly with dhcp.

Do you know if your work has MAC address filtering on the dhcp server? If so, you may be out of luck unless you can get the network admin to add the MAC address for your computer to the dhcp server.

You mean IPCONFIG shows absolutely nothing??? like it just returns with a prompt without displaying any information whatsoever?

It replies with just what is a generic heading that would normally come right above all the settings. It displays absolutely nothing but at one point it was replying for another network connection (the default at the time) with absolute gibberish where the IP address would normally be.

I tried using a sleak little USB connected ethernet adapter (didn't work at all either just like the onboard). The cord and the connection all work absolutely fine as I have been using them over and over with other systems.

If that is the case, some serious TCP/IP issues are happening with that PC.

Have you tried resetting the tcp/ip stack?

command prompt --> netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
I did try some netsh stuff but I'm not sure I tried this, I will give it a try for sure.

If that doesn't fix it, go into the network card settings in control panael and make sure that TCP/IP is installed. If not, add it, if it is, remove it and then re-add it. You may want to remove and re-add "Client for Microsoft Networks".

I did remove it but there is no option for uninstalling tcp/ip which I thought was weird, I'm pretty sure it is supposed to have a removal option there. The best I could do is uncheck it.

I will have to reinstall client for microsoft networks but I'm pretty sure I tried this already.

If that doesn't fix it, try updating the network card drivers.

The aforementioned usb ethernet card had brand new drivers installed on it so I wouldn't think this would help.

A few questions while I am at it - are you plugging into a known working port? What about the cable, is is definetely good?

Are the light(s) on the network card blinking? If not, either the card is dead, the cable is dead, or the port on the wall is dead.

If the port on the wall is dead, you will want to make sure that it is actually connected to a port on a switch in whatever room the wire from the port goes to.

All of these things are known good. I may need to restart the router but I doubt this is going to work as I have been setting other systems up on the net there randomly with little issue.

Thanks for the help thus far- I'm GOING to crack this one- it's the weirdest one I've seen thus far. I think a virus might be behind it.

O.k., we will get this figured out.

1. Go into even viewer and see if there are any errors or warnings. If there are, post them here. If not, proceed to step 2.

2. Go into Safe Mode and go to Device Manager and remove all listed network adapters. Restart and let it redetect. See if that fixes it. If not, go to step 3.

3. Go to the command prompt and enter these commands - I use a batch file with an added "pause" at the end:

Code:
net stop cryptsvc
@ ren %systemroot%\system32\Catroot2 oldcatroot2
del %systemroot%\system32\Catroot2\*.*
RD %systemroot%\system32\Catroot2
net start cryptsvc

Reboot.

If that doesn't fix it, try this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903267

If it is still not working, post what this is returning:
ipconfig /all

Download a program called SUPERAntiSpyware. Click on Preferences and Repairs. Scroll down till you find Repair Broken Network Connection (LSP Chain) and perform repair.

I used to use DialAFix on a ton of computers that had similar symptoms. It's outdated software but it still works pretty damn well on XP.

Before doing all of this troubleshooting with the tcp/ip stack, etc. have you disabled the original NIC, and installed a spare NIC card laying around into a PCI/PCIX slot and checked to see if you can reproduce the issue? I do understand that you tried a USB ethernet adapter which didn't work, but an internal NIC would be more simple.

You could have bad hardware and are just spinning your wheels. Otherwise (and forgive me if this was already brought up; I merely skimmed through this), check and make sure there are no IRQ conflicts, etc.

Ok it turns out the adf service, DHCP service isn't running, the netbt service isn't running and all of these are required for tcp/ip to run via dependencies.

I will surely try all these suggested fixes, thanks for all your help. I will crack this sucker and post the right fix afterwards.

Thanks

Back