• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Old SSD or new Spindle Drive?

fowen

Gawd
Joined
Dec 28, 2004
Messages
984
I have been using a X200 Tablet for some time with a old Samsung 128GB mmcqe28g8mup SSD drive. I recently got a new SC420 for work that came with a 500GB traditional spindle drive. I am not sure if I should take the SSD out and move it to the new laptop or leave the hard drive. I will be using PGP Whole Disk Encryption with the laptop.

DiskMark Scores

ssd.PNG


traditional.PNG
 
That's a pretty slow HDD but the SSD on the other hand has a terrible write speed so I guess you should consider what you're going to do with it - the SSD will be much better at booting/launching applications but the HDD will take the lead when it comes to writing stuff. And it is bigger, too.
 
My biggest worry is whole disk encryption. My guess is the poor write speeds is going to cause some problems after the disk is fully encrypted.
 
In that case I would get the HDD - if you don't need the 500Gb you could make a small partition (short-stroking). That would give you better access times and read/write speeds than just having a single partition (and you can always partition the rest of the drive later if needed, keep the OS on the first partition and all will be fine)
 
Back
Top