• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Old school P4 question

delvryboy

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 21, 2008
Messages
2,486
What would be a direct drop in for an old 1.6GHz P4 S478?

I have a few newer ones, 2.4 Northwood and a Prescott.
 
need to know what motherboard you have to know what would work.
 
The Northwood will probably be supported, but the Prescott may not be. Like swatbat said, we need to know what motherboard you have, and what chipset it uses.
 
What would be a direct drop in for an old 1.6GHz P4 S478?

I have a few newer ones, 2.4 Northwood and a Prescott.

A hammer?

Seriously though, the prescott is almost certainly out of the question, the 2.4 would be pushing your luck.
 
A hammer, these things sell like mad on CL. The 1.6 will net me $70ish. If I can bump that up to 2.4, I can grab $120ish.

I figure I have the cpu's, why not. If I can't I guess I'll just save them for the next dead cpu flea-market deal. :)
 
Can you open up CPU-Z on the computer and post what chipset the computer has?
 
I will a little later, its completely disassembled for cleaning right now.

Thanks
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
i845's take 400mhz and 533mhz bus speed P4's IIRC.

The best CPU you'll be able to put in is the 3.06GHz HT 533MHz P4. This is assuming that the BIOS supports HT and 533MHz CPU's.

If it only supports 400MHz CPU's then I think 2.4GHz is the max.

EDIT: I don't think the i845D supports 533MHz bus speeds... "The big change from the i845D to i845E is the addition of 533 MHz Front Side Bus support (133 MHz QDR) over the 400 MHz bus of the i845D. This is driven from the new high-end “Northwood” Pentium 4 “B” processors which use this new bus speed to increase bandwidth between CPU and memory." http://www.zen26266.zen.co.uk/AX4B-Pro533-page1.htm

I could be totally wrong though.

I'd give it a shot and see what happens! :p
 
The 845 chipset might support Northwoods depending on the board (and it's more likely if it's a 533MHz FSB chip). The only way to know for sure is to give it a shot and see what happens.
 
use a program called siw. that nice little program can tell you everything you need to know about your computer. well not when its in pieces but you get the idea lol.
 
Back
Top