old school dial up issue please help!!!

Here is the issue:
I have a phone line connected to my dial up modem on this computer and it keeps saying I have no dial tone error so I trouble shooted the cable connected it to a phone no noise except dial tone of course so I figure for kicks and giggles I will leave a phone off the hook and have the modem dial out and what do you know it works until I try to hang up the phone them it disconnects can someone please tell me what the heck is going on I am realy curios to find out ..... this is actually kinda cool of it was not my computer doing it.:p

Here is the issue:
I have a phone line connected to my dial up modem on this computer and it keeps saying I have no dial tone error so I trouble shooted the cable connected it to a phone no noise except dial tone of course so I figure for kicks and giggles I will leave a phone off the hook and have the modem dial out and what do you know it works until I try to hang up the phone them it disconnects can someone please tell me what the heck is going on I am realy curios to find out ..... this is actually kinda cool of it was not my computer doing it.:p

Bet one of the jack's in the house is wired wrong, OR the phone you use actually terminates the line some how, Is the phone you unplugged a hand held or a wired phone ?

Are any of them, on a splitter / filter ?

Hmm... is this phone connected to the same line (the physical wire) as the modem? I know all the phones are on same lines... but im talking like (Phone Line -------> Modem -------> Phone) type deal...

if so, im guessing maybe your modem init string isnt grabbing the dial tone (good ole ATDT line).

If you can, manually send ATDT########## and see if it dials out

there is a code to make the modem pick up and dial with no waiting, I forget what it is, maybe *9 or *76 or something like that. put it in front of the phone number and problem solved. the internet connection options may also have a "wait for dial tone" box that can be unchecked...

Back