Old ram in dual channel not working as dualchannel

GordanMer

n00b
The rams in the dual slots and its not workin in dual channel? It's really old ram, the ram is pc2100. Using an epox nforce2 ultra 400 motherboard and an athlon xp 3000 barton processor.

Is there a bio settings? Jumper settings? Ive seen some weird ass options on nf2 mobos. Id check the manual.

You say its "old" ram. It has to specifically say "Dual-Channel memory." Dual Channel memory is fairly new.. it came out.. last year I believe, around summer. If its "old ram," its probably not capable of being dual-channel.

I believe that dual channel ram does not have to be marked DUAL channel specifically for the comptuer to run it as dual channel

You can buy two sticks of IDENTICAL ram and the computer should be able to run it as dual chan.

The main importance is that the rams need to be very similar to be able to run in sync with each other. If you had a pc2100 piece and a pc2700 piece the comptuer probably will run it as single channel. Or even in some cases if you have corsair 3200 and another stick of mushkin 3200 it probably wont run dual either because they arent close enough to each other. So basically brand, speed, capacity, latency of the two modules have to match or be very close for the comptuer to allow it to run in dual chan mode.

I think during boot up the comptuer checks the ram modules to determine if they are acceptable to run dual channel or not. If it is then it will run dual channel automatically if not then it wont run dual.

Another thing. The RAM has to be inserted in a specific slot for it to run dual. Usually there is 2-4 slots on motherboards. On dual chan boards, they will have a gap in between them. Put one sick on one side of the gap and other stick on the other side. Or just match up the colors. Blue-Blue or black-black. Some boards dont have the slots color matched so check your manual in that case.

Exactly, it doesnt need to be marked dual channel. On an MSI board i threw in a system once though it was having some issues with dual channel, i forget what i did now though.

1. That ram is too slow. You'll be running async, which is going to be so bad for performance it isn't even funny. You need at LEAST 2700 ram for a barton. Otherwise, it'll suck the cockle BAD.

2. Dual channel memory DOES NOT EXIST. It's a marketing gimmick. :p Any 2 sticks, identical, will work.

Originally posted by SixWingedFreak
You say its "old" ram. It has to specifically say "Dual-Channel memory." Dual Channel memory is fairly new.. it came out.. last year I believe, around summer. If its "old ram," its probably not capable of being dual-channel.

This is completely wrong. Dual channel RAM is a function of the motherboard. But perhaps the motherboard limits functionality with slower ram.

Faster ram than that would be good too.

Just wanted to re-iterate on there being no "dual-channel ram" -- just use two identical sticks man.

Back