Old question, but I would like new input: First things to do after a fresh Win10 install.

• Thread starter Deleted member 88301
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88301

Just reformatted and reinstalled Win10.

Just looking for a good guide about what to turn off, and what to keep.

Thanks in advance.

Bump for not trying to be obnoxiause, I just want this to be high enough to get noticed.

I find a good wallpaper and uh.. make sure all of my devices are in device manager.. and uh.. clean up the Start tiles.. then I guess just use it?

I would really just limit my Windows use to the absolute need only basis. It's such a clusterfuck that it can't be recommended to anyone as a daily driver.

Microsoft keeps inventing more and more ways to take control away from the end user and invade their privacy.

Here's one guide on how to try to limit the damage at least somewhat: https://heimdalsecurity.com/en/windows-10-security-guide/privacy#controversy

Microsoft has embedded some of the spy features to essential system components, knowing that if you try to just go wild and disable services that spy on you, you'll end up breaking your system. And then be a good boy.

Bump for not trying to be obnoxiause, I just want this to be high enough to get noticed.
Every single topic here gets seen and replied to. Very rarely does something have zero responses. This behavior is absolutely unnecessary here.

Reactions: x509
like this
Well, although Ninite is great, I'm not looking for a guide for software to install. What I meant is do any of you guys have a good list of things to disable/disable, ie Cortana.

Well, although Ninite is great, I'm not looking for a guide for software to install. What I meant is do any of you guys have a good list of things to disable/disable, ie Cortana.

As a gamer in orde to avoid issues I disable all the X-box recording stuff and gamebar. I disabled most of the privacy/telemetry stuff during initial install (for whatever that is worth)

Reactions: Wild1
like this
disable metro apps, location, defender, smart screen, and all other buggery too.

First thing to do.. insert Windows 7 disc..

Shift + F10
diskpart
Select Disk 0
Clean
Reboot

Yeah, I know. I do think that Win7 was great. I actually paid Dell more money for XP when I order an XPS 410 back in 2007. I didn't want Vista. But I got involved in the testing of Win7 and really enjoyed it.

But now, I honestly don't hate Win 10.

I’d suggest grabbing a cheap pro key from the f/s section. You can disable a lot more with group policy editor that home locks out. I’m running 10 pro on a shit 2010 netbook so I had to cut it down to nothing in order to run smoothly. The process changes with every seasonal update. Pretty hard to give you specifics without exercising some good google-fu.

I find that tweaking the settings does not speed up the system much once you have 8gb of ram and SSD, so I just use the default settings.
One thing I do change is to show all icons in the system tray.

Another thing that is good to do after fresh install is to image the drive.

This way you have a backup of a fresh drive set up the way you want and wont have to do it again if you need a reformat, upgrade hardware, etc. just clone the image.

1. Enable true Administrator account: https://www.ghacks.net/2014/11/12/how-to-enable-the-hidden-windows-10-administrator-account/ and use it instead of this UAC infested crap called 'administrator type account'
Remember UAC is evil
tumblr_inline_o494439Q1v1rft6m6_500.png

2. Run https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm and disable all computer slowing down crap.
That is if you are not sissy girl and are not afraid of some imaginary ghosts
are-you-actually-afraid-of-ghosts-2-30964-1427480388-3_dblbig.jpg

3. Run your computer like a true boss.
boss-fat-guy-smoking-cigar-in-suit.jpg

Last edited:
Back