Old question about the Pentium 133

wee96

2[H]4U
I found mine wayy back in the basement and it had reminded me of a rumor that had gone around back in those days. If I remember right, someone had said that the Pentium 133mhz calculates at the same speed as the human brain. Anyone else ever hear that if you can remember back that far? haha, just curious as I never actually found any evidence and thought someone on here might.

You can't really even compare in terms of which one is faster/more powerful (brain or pentium). The way they interpret data differs greaty.

And hell, even a 16MHz 80C51 or something can make raw calculations faster than a human. Might as well include whatever powers calculators as well.

i've never heard of that. but i'd have to say it doesnt really compare, we think in such a different way

I had heard a long time ago that the brain had a rough "cycle" of around 33 MHz, but even if the brain does have average frequency, it can't be compared to a regular processor because the brain is more like a cluster, it can do many parallel operations at the same time.

tdg said:
I had heard a long time ago that the brain had a rough "cycle" of around 33 MHz, but even if the brain does have average frequency, it can't be compared to a regular processor because the brain is more like a cluster, it can do many parallel operations at the same time.
I can't. I can't walk and chew bubble gum at the same time. :p

Im pretty sure it was just one of those rumors, I never really believed it anyway since as stated before technically even the first microprocessors can do raw calculations faster than us :) Pretty cool to look at this thing though, how much technology has changed since those days.

a2tz said:
i've never heard of that. but i'd have to say it doesnt really compare, we think in such a different way

I think you mean to say:

Humans think. (well most do)

Processors don't.

:p

you're comparing apples to nebular clusters

j/k but 2 very different mechanisms.

think of an NFL quarterback throwing a REAL football in to the wind (lots of friction/physics variables) to a running receiver (more variables) being guarded (more variables) in an NFL gamel To run and throw a ball takes controlling hundreds of muscles in motion, plus all of those other calculations simultaneously, etc...

Now try to build a robot to actually do that in a real environment. (not a game that simulates it like PS2, etc.)

It doesn't happen. A human brain is a self programming evolving system. It makes split second calculations, fine adjustments to muscles movements, etc.

Now granted if you try to make a brain do just raw math operations.... like how fast, etc... it would be closer to a comparison, but still so different YOU CAN'T really compare.

BTW, there is a REALLY cool robotic hand that can catch baseballs going like 100mph at random trajectories. (but still not close to a fully indepenting android)

A quarterback isn't calculating anything: he's guessing, based on experience.

He might associate a certain touch to throwing the ball in the right way for a particular condition, but he's certainly not making quantitative measurements to use in calculations to determine how or when to thow the ball.

How much processing power would it take a computer to "guess" like that ;).

wee96 said:
I found mine wayy back in the basement and it had reminded me of a rumor that had gone around back in those days. If I remember right, someone had said that the Pentium 133mhz calculates at the same speed as the human brain. Anyone else ever hear that if you can remember back that far? haha, just curious as I never actually found any evidence and thought someone on here might.

What multiplier does the human brain use?

And... If I add more voltage, can I overclock my brain?

I think my brain is Socket 7. Isnt there a pin mod?

How much processing power would it take a computer to "guess" like that
Agreed. They havn't created a supercomputer yet that is even close to the human brain. But as its been said " apples to oranges". The scientific/medical/theoretical/theological boundaries and advances could not have been done by a computer. We did it (with help from the computer of course - gotta give them SOME credit)........of course the computer was created by the human brain too. ;)

And... If I add more voltage, can I overclock my brain?
:D Heh. Always thinking [H]ard!
Edit: Tried it. Aall I got wasss muscle spassmms...

chrisf6969 said:
Now granted if you try to make a brain do just raw math operations.... like how fast, etc... it would be closer to a comparison, but still so different YOU CAN'T really compare.

I wish the amd vs intel bashes would get that in their head. If they arnt the samn damn thing, they cant be compared fairly.

I remember those damn SY039 stepping Pentium 133's that didn't overclock at all. Sucked bad.

Tawnos said:
How much processing power would it take a computer to "guess" like that ;).

Nobody knows; machines don't guess. They might approximate, or give up trying to get a more exact answer because they've been programmed to limit their time. But they don't guess, not in the way we're talking about.

Yes, I do also remember that propaganda marketing slogan at the time of 133 computers, my college days, stating that the brain worked at the same speed. Thus, having a 133 computer was like buying and having a sort of a free (another) human advisor with you, or having a double (power) brain.

Yeah, great brains from the marketing and ads people, indeed, those brains run not at 133 but at 8000 Mhz.
Ah, ah, ah
Cheers,
Carlos

carlos39 said:
Yes, I do also remember that propaganda marketing slogan at the time of 133 computers, my college days, stating that the brain worked at the same speed. Thus, having a 133 computer was like buying and having a sort of a free (another) human advisor with you, or having a double (power) brain.

Yeah, great brains from the marketing and ads people, indeed, those brains run not at 133 but at 8000 Mhz.
Ah, ah, ah
Cheers,
Carlos

Some people choose not to think, you see.

The brain is designed to do completely different things. While it could do raw calculations, it isn't dedicated to do such. Think about it, as you're looking at this screen right now your brain is processing lots of information coming through the senses. And that information is only a fraction of what actually comes in, the brain knows what information it can throw away (or it can choose which to listen to) and work on what is left. In the event of an "error" or "crash" it knows not to "execute" that function as an action or a reaction in the future - something computers can't do (yet).

Back