Old PSU dead? New one too weak?

rbarr110

Limp Gawd
Over the last 2 days my pc was making an odd sound off and on, it sounded like a cable got loose and was rubbing against a fan. I opened up the case but couldnt find the source of the periodic noise.

Yesterday morning the PC powered up and I used it briefly, left it on, and went to work. I came home from work and the PC was off, and would not power up.

The light on the mobo and network card were on so there was power being provided but no fan startup, and no pwer up. I could hear a little buzz coming from the PSU, so I began to suspect that the PSU was dead.

I ran out and picked up an Antec Earthwatt 500W PSU to try it out (old PSU was a 500W antec as well). I installed the new PSU, but got nothing. In experimenting I unplugged the pcie cord to the video card and got all the fans to start up and spin but got the mobo's or perhaps the vid cards buzzer alarm to go off. So I plugged the PCIe power back and in and get nothing.

Is the new PSU too weak? It did have lower amp suppply on the 5v and 3.3v, but was higher on the 12v when compared to the old PSU.

WTF is going on?

I also tried crossing the green and black wires (paperclip jump start) with a few fans hooked up on the old PSU, and still nothing from it, so I believe old PSU is for sure dead.

But why does the new Antec one not work?

Have you tried the paperclip trick on the new PSU? It's possible, though not tremendously likely, that the old PSU died and damaged your motherboard in the process. If that were the case, it would prevent you from booting.

Yea, thats what i was going to say, the thing that most likely happened is your mobo shorted or something along with your psu dying.

Is the new PSU too weak? It did have lower amp suppply on the 5v and 3.3v, but was higher on the 12v when compared to the old PSU.
As the +12V is the primary & very little 3.3 or 5 is used, this is not the problem.

The advice given above is good & should help to pinpoint the problem, unfortunately it does sound like it might be your mobo.:(

UPDATE:

I tried another PSU and still no boot and no fan power-up this time. I then tried swapping out the videocard. Now my system boots up and runs fine with the new PSU and a different video card. The vid card I put in is a PCI-e card but does not require any additional power hookup, where teh old card did....anyway I think its time to RMA a video card.

Back