• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Old Pioneer receiver

kkl1014

n00b
Joined
Aug 30, 2009
Messages
48
Hello. I recently found an old Pioneer VSX-9900s receiver lying around in the garage. It's about 16-18 years old and I want to use it with my audio set up. It only does stereo sound but has preouts in the back for center, sub, front, left and surround speakers. However, accompanying each preout is a "power in" RCA plug. I'm wondering what the power-in rca plugs are for.
 
Those power in and pre outs should have jumpers on them.
pioneer.jpg
 
Does this mean that I can't use the preouts? I'm a newb when it comes to this sort of stuff.
 
You use the pre-outs by connecting them to a separate power amplifier, using RCA cables. Or you can use the built in amp by connecting the jumpers to the power-ins. I suspect that you don't want to use a separate amp so just leave the jumpers in.
 
I'll be using a pair of powered speakers, Swan 1080mkii to be specific. Do I just plug the red and white RCA plugs into the preouts in the back? What do I do with the jumpers in this case?
 
If you are using powered speakers, why use the receiver at all? do you plan on having more than the PC hooked up to the speakers?
 
if you want the receiver, connect the pre-outs to the pre-ins on the powered speakers (if thats even available, I doubt it is), but like Zepher said, don't bother with that, unless you want to use the receiver for input switching or something

also, you can use RCA cables in place of jumpers (if you've lost the original jumpers and have extra cables)
 
Yeah, I'm hooking up more stuff to the receiver.

then yeah, assuming the swans have a pre-in and you can bypass their volume control, you can use the receiver in this capacity and use the swans' amplifier
 
Back
Top