Old People Playing Slither.io

Am I the only one that gets really bothered by the aesthetic of youtube video thumbnails like these? I can't watch videos like this because the thumbnail looks like it was designed by a 2 year old.

There's millions of them.

I don't get the fascination of this game. That combined with the fact that it runs like absolute shit and I just don't get why it is popular.

Closing my eyes....ok it got really scary. "Oh big one just ate me", 'how do they bump me, I don't like when they bump me', 'it glows when it goes faster', and my most favorite - 'OH THAT'S A BIG ONE!!'

"It's not like heads are flying off and bits and pieces of baby are going here and there"

Now I've played a LOT of violent video games over the years, but what the hell has that guy been playing with bits and pieces of babies flying around?

I'm not giving these people any more views since they tried to trademark the word "react" and were laying copyright claims against pretty much anyone on Youtube making a reaction video also.

Its a fun and dumb time waster.

Except the fact that it runs like absolute shit 90% of the time making it virtually unplayable. There are a billion (exaggerated) other time wasters out there that aren't a laggy mess like this.

I don't know why it's fun it's just mindless fun yet frustrating. I don't really look for a really high score I focus on the little weasels who are intentionally trying to knock people out and I trap them.

I'm not giving these people any more views since they tried to trademark the word "react" and were laying copyright claims against pretty much anyone on Youtube making a reaction video also.
Same with failarmy as they did copyright the term "people are awesome" And they're copyright claiming every video that is about people doing awesome things. And when confronted they said " It's not our fault it's our parent company doing that" That's their excuse.

BTW I never heard of this game. It looks like a classic snake game and not even a good one at that. I wrote my version of it in high school.

Am I the only one that gets really bothered by the aesthetic of youtube video thumbnails like these? I can't watch videos like this because the thumbnail looks like it was designed by a 2 year old.

There's millions of them.
Its all part of the clickbait BS thats infected YouTube. Same as clickbat titles "Pranks in the hood gone WRONG! Sexual edition!!!!" " Kissing pranks: GONE SEXUALLLLLLLLLL!!!"

They had the balls to admit that it was wrong and not only that but they gave up LEGIT trademarks that they already had. Many other people wouldn't have even admitted it was the wrong thing to do let alone release your already owned trademarks.

They had the balls to admit that it was wrong and not only that but they gave up LEGIT trademarks that they already had. Many other people wouldn't have even admitted it was the wrong thing to do let alone release your already owned trademarks.
Regaining respect after a colossal screw up is not easy. Even if they're good at damage control.

1. Yes, they quietly admitted it was a mistake in a small text message, after making 2 videos promoting it to high hell (then taking them down and burying them). I think it had less to do with them speaking from the heart and more with them losing more subscribers than any major Youtube channel in history.

2. They didn't give up legit trademarks they already had. They had APPLIED for trademarks for common words such as "react", then backed down once they realized it would never pass the time period to allow for public objection to it. They gave up their applications for them because it became obvious it would never work.

Regaining respect after a colossal screw up is not easy. Even if they're good at damage control.
I think intent makes a hell of a lot of difference here. They're essentially predators. The whole Old People react thing they took from someone else that did Elder's React, then retroactively shut them down via copyright claims. That would be like Zynga suing a game company that they took the design from, it's sleazy no matter how you slice it. Then, in the middle of their react world fiasco, they were already taking down other channels and videos, trying to corner all "react" videos.

When I think of collossal screw-up, I think of something like a tasteless marketing campaign that looks really bad and hurts the company's image. This would be more like Enron trying to regain respect after a "collossal screw-up" assuming they were still in business. There's a little more going on than a "screw up" in that kind of situation.

1. Yes, they quietly admitted it was a mistake in a small text message, after making 2 videos promoting it to high hell (then taking them down and burying them). I think it had less to do with them speaking from the heart and more with them losing more subscribers than any major Youtube channel in history.

2. They didn't give up legit trademarks they already had. They had APPLIED for trademarks for common words such as "react", then backed down once they realized it would never pass the time period to allow for public objection to it. They gave up their applications for them because it became obvious it would never work.

I think intent makes a hell of a lot of difference here. They're essentially predators. The whole Old People react thing they took from someone else that did Elder's React, then retroactively shut them down via copyright claims. That would be like Zynga suing a game company that they took the design from, it's sleazy no matter how you slice it. Then, in the middle of their react world fiasco, they were already taking down other channels and videos, trying to corner all "react" videos.

When I think of collossal screw-up, I think of something like a tasteless marketing campaign that looks really bad and hurts the company's image. This would be more like Enron trying to regain respect after a "collossal screw-up" assuming they were still in business. There's a little more going on than a "screw up" in that kind of situation.

1. They made a video and apologized , you can find re-uploads of both on youtube.
2. They gave up legit triademarks/copyrights, not just "react" but specifically ones they already had before this started that was the specific names of their brand and everything.

They clearly said they were trying to trademark their format (IE the way their show looks, the graphics, logos, etc). This is exactly what tv stations do when they have a specific structure to a show type or such. Do you think you could make a show like Dancing iwth the sitars and use their exact format/look, simply re-name it and they won't come after you?

I didn't know about the eolders react thing, if true that is indeed a shitty thing to do. I think they learned their lesson though in regards to the community and what they won't take. Doesn't seem fair to not give them a second chance imo after they admitted wrong and backed down.

1. They made a video and apologized , you can find re-uploads of both on youtube.
You mean this one?

This is a passive-aggressive non-apology. They're apologize for confusing people, not for doing takedown claims on other channels using the word "react." They in fact, say in the video that's not what they meant and wouldn't do that, when that's EXACTLY what they were doing! Again, it's like Enron apologizing for confusing people and emphasizing that they are in no way committing fradulent activity and want everyone to understand that. Not a very effective apology!

2. They gave up legit triademarks/copyrights, not just "react" but specifically ones they already had before this started that was the specific names of their brand and everything.

They clearly said they were trying to trademark their format (IE the way their show looks, the graphics, logos, etc). This is exactly what tv stations do when they have a specific structure to a show type or such. Do you think you could make a show like Dancing iwth the sitars and use their exact format/look, simply re-name it and they won't come after you?
Again, what they said and what they actually did are very different things. Don't conflate protecting the copyright of their logos and graphics with trademarking the word "react" and taking down reaction videos. Two totally different things. Also while I'm sure there are subtleties of their "format" that can be protected (again, graphics are an easy example) this has been around before Youtube with Kids Say The Darndest Things. It's similar to how Sony tried to trademark "Let's Play" videos a few years ago and failed also, because it's too broad a concept. If Dancing With The Stars attempted to trademark the word "dancing" and started doing takedowns of videos with the word dancing, that would be more comparable to what actually happened.

Again, you really have to compare what they said v. their actual actions, it's night and day.

Back