Old pentium 2 tower mod.

Silversierra

Limp Gawd
Ok, I got an old p2 tower, and I'm modding it. I want to increase airflow, it has 0 case fans as of now. I will add at least 1-2. Here's the front panel I'll be modding.
beforefp.jpg

And here's a side view. It has a vertical mounted psu, which is a little odd, IMO. It also is about 2" wider than a standard case, so it has lots of room. :)
beforesideview.jpg

Edit: I'm trying to rehost some pics, bear with me.

Silversierra said:
??? Why? What good would it do, it's only a p2

The general consensus of the folding community is that every little bit helps.

Silversierra said:
and don't you need a really fast internet connection to fold?

Haha, actually quite the opposite. There are a lot of people that use computers that aren't connected to the internet at all, they just load the data to a computer that is.

Silversierra said:
??? Why? What good would it do, it's only a p2, and don't you need a really fast internet connection to fold?

So? I Have a P233 folding.

Ok, I cut a "vent" on the front and cut out a 80mm fan hole. I'm putting a 80mm blue led fan there, and putting some mesh over the "vent".
cutout.jpg

I also put a drive cover on the cd drive, since I'm painting the whole thing black, I decided to make black plastic faceplate so the drive matches the new color of the case. It has a hole for the light, and a push button to open the drive.

cdcover.jpg

So can you fold even if you don't have internet, then upload from another computer? It's a p2 233.

Another question. The board this rig has is an epox, and it has something called essj, which is some kind of oc'ing jumper thing. If I put the jumper to 300mhz, will it oc the cpu only or everything(i.e. will the agp/pci cards be oc'ed too? ) Has anyone done this kind of oc'ing, I'm used to using the bios, but this bios doen't have the options.

I like the color but you have to do something with the bottom part.

What do you mean, I put mesh in there as you can see in the last (blurry) pic. It looks sweet IMO.

Ok, here's the "fan off" pic.
fanoffgrille.jpg

I put a silver cover around the fan so it was shiny and to hide the holes in the case.
It has 2 mesh grilles one on the front panel, and one on the front of the case.

Thanks for the complements. I think it turned out well.

I have a few questions. Does anyone know how oc'ing with jumpers works, I want to oc the rig now, but will oc'ing the cpu also oc the pci/agp buses? If it does, won't it fry the cards if I'd get a decent oc?

Oh, btw, It has the oddest mobo I've seen. It has simms(4) and dimms(3), and agp ver 1.0 supporting 1x and 2x, with an ati rage card installed. Are there any newer cards that can run on agp ver 1.0 anymore, like a 5700 ultra, etc? I think I heard that geforce fx are agp 1.0 compatible, is it true? Input appreciated.

Here's a link to a review of the board.
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=168

Silversierra said:
What do you mean, I put mesh in there as you can see in the last (blurry) pic. It looks sweet IMO.

Thats what i was talking about like the holes and well just the frame of the case but looks better now. :D

those jumpers only overclock the processor
any agp graphics card will work with a 1 or 2x motherboard...
the comp im on right now is a p3 that only suports 1, 2 and 4x agp, where as im using a 8x card... :)

That's true, to a point. I'm working on an old P3-1000mhz system for a friend's kid, and needed a video card (I bought the mobo, cpu & ram used). I've got a radeon 9250 card, but it wouldn't fit the agp slot because of the design of newer agp cards.

Check out the difference in the 2 cards, here and here Notice how they're different in the area that plugs into the agp slot? One has 3 sections to that area, the newer style card only has 2. Well, the 9250 card I have is the newer style, and wouldn't fit the old motherboard, because it needed a card with an opening in the middle of that long area of the slot. Not sure if I'm making sense or not, but trust me that when you're dealing with older boards, you're sometimes gonna run into that problem.

Luckily for me, I had an old radeon 7500 laying around here, that worked just fine. :)

Oh, btw, nice work on the case! :D

It should work fine for DVD playing. All ATi cards since the ancient Rage series cards have hardware MPEG-2 decoding.

Zero82z said:
It should work fine for DVD playing. All ATi cards since the ancient Rage series cards have hardware MPEG-2 decoding.

Does the rage have hardware mpeg-2? The rage is what it has currently and video playback stutters so bad it's a slideshow. I couldn't find any specs on what the minimum system is for dvd-rom drives, but I found that dvd-rw's need faster computers.

I tried oc'ing it with the jumpers, I put it to 266mhz instead of 233, and it wouldn't post, oh well, I guess no oc'ing, unless I'm missing something.

It seems I need an agp card that can use 3.3v(instead of 1.5 or 0.8v like current cards). I guess maybe it's not worth it, but if it could play dvds it'd be nice.

Ok, I rehosted the pics, since they stopped working. I think I got most of 'em replaced.
Any comments?

I guess I'm basically done. I'm thinking of reinstalling win 98se on it. I've never done 98, is it hard? I've done xp several times. I have a full disc(with key+manual too) for 98se.
Will a graphics card help it play dvd's? It stutters a lot as is.

Silversierra said:
I guess I'm basically done. I'm thinking of reinstalling win 98se on it. I've never done 98, is it hard? I've done xp several times. I have a full disc(with key+manual too) for 98se.
Will a graphics card help it play dvd's? It stutters a lot as is.

That could just the the computer being to slow. And hell no win98 is vary easy to install.

step by step

1. Go in your bios menu and tell it to boot from CD-rom.
2. restart the computer with the disc in the drive and it should come up with a screen load windows disc (or something like that), command prompt with cd-rom suport and command prompt without cd-rom suport.
3. if you already reformated the HDD go to step 4. Click without cd-rom suport, that should open a prompt go to "A" drive (Its make the CD-rom A) type "fdisk" and the you go format away. After that restart the computer.
4. Now click load windows installer (or something like that) and there you go the installers tell you what to do from there.

Sorry i'm really tired i just at least want to try and help with installing your win98.

Back