• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Old overclock needs new trick advice

Tanis143

Gawd
Joined
Aug 18, 2001
Messages
606
Ok, I started overclocking back when it was simple, crank up the FSB and multiplier and maybe tweak the vcore. Had a Barton 2500+ stable at 2.2 ghz for 3 years. But, newer games finally pushed a full system overhaul. Here are my specs:

CPU: AMD64 X2 4000 @ 2.4 (230 x 10.5)
RAM: G.Skill DDR2 800 2 gig (1gig x 2)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3
VID: XFX 8600GT
PSU: Corsair VX550

Ok, now here is my questions. If I adjust the FSB does it affect the FSB for the ram as well? Meaning, right now I have it at 230 (mild overclock, but testing the waters right now) does it push the memory FSB up as well or does the CPU keep the memory at 400? I didn't see a FSB lock for the memory like there was in my previous mobo, but not sure how that affects the ram since AMD puts the memory controller on chip now. I hoping to get a good 266 FSB on this without having to mess with the vcore, but dont want to push the memory.
 
Yes, the FSB ( or HT in AMD speak ) does affect the memory speed since the memory controller is on the CPU and defaults to 1 : 1 with the processor.
With your system, I would recommend setting the memory back to 667Mhz, that way it would reach default speed at about 250Mhz HTT which would only give you about a 16Mhz OC at a 266 HTT.
 
Hrm, I didn't see a section in my BIOS to adjust the memory, in fact now I notice I have no where to even adjust my memory timings. So, that will limit how much I can do a FSB overclock......

Egads, wish I had noticed this before I bought this mobo. Until now I've been really pleased with it..... oh well.
 
While you're in the bios, try hitting "Alt/F1" and see if it brings up another page ! Without the quotes of coarse ! :)
 
Back
Top