• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Old HP Workstation

Draconian

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 8, 2012
Messages
333
So I inherited an HP XW8400 workstation from my employer. It currently has 2 Xeon 5140 dual core CPUs installed with 8GB RAM. I plan on upgrading to 32GB and a full kit is around $80 online. The spec sheet shows that the 53XX Xeons will work but was also looking at the 54XX series as well. This chipset is the Intel 5000X chipset. The purpose of this is to have a somewhat decent rig for gaming and whatever else until I have more $ to do a full build again. Should I just stick with the 53XX Xeons or just not bother?
 
sincerely that machine will require too much money to be a decent gaming rig and still I think it have a major problem.. you will be better selling it and buy any used socket 1156-1155 machine.. the first problem with the HP WX8400 at least, the quad core xeon variant we used like 8-9 years ago only supported PCI-E 1.1 x16 which it's in fact only x4 electrically possible.. so a major bottleneck for any modern GPU out there in the market.

Also 32GB DDR2 will offer nothing for gaming so a waste of money, but also it will require to find 2 quad core 771 Xeons so another 100$ wasted as they are already old and slow.. IMO just sell the machine as it don't worth any money you can spend on it gaming wise of course..
 
make a new thread with a budget so we can help you to find the best possible gaming build within that budget..
 
Back
Top