Old Gateway Tower Case

I just got a used Gateway Tower Case. This thing is fairly old, P5-200 old. Give me some idea's please! Nothing too hard either. :rolleyes: I was thinking paint, fan openings (of course), maybe a window.....but any ideas are appreciated!

gatewaycase002.jpg

gatewaycase003.jpg

gatewaycase001.jpg

i like the way the hard drive is mounted. you should put a nice looking hard drive there and put 1 small windown around it. just my 2 cents.

cleaning it is the cheapest mod i can see you doing to it :D ;)

or paint it all black, everything black, black black black black!!!! then a window with gold tint on it

soulsaver_8229

off the top of my head the way the HD is placed if you was brave enough could do a big window side panel and do a window in the HD as well.

also on the front panel if you liked could do a Monitor mod in there, PSOne monitor or simlair or if you dont wanna cut the front panel I think it would be good for lighting, if my memory is right the front panel has a stand out section in the middle so you could put some ccf behind the panel that sticks out and have the light bleed out the sides of that panel

and ofcourse a good new paint job inside and out with very tidy cabling.

Could also do a decent watercooling in there as well as its pretty tall. PSU at the very top with watercooling pump ect just underneath it with tubes going to CPU, graphics card and chipset.

Would love to have a bare case like that myself to play around with, good luck whatever you do

Only problem I see with modernizing it is that the rear IO Panel is not up to standard, where the rear ports go for the MB will have to be cut to make room for a new IO shield.
Paint it all Black, Put a CCFL behing the front so it shines thru the slots. window in the side along with a H.D with window mod. I know thats just what crazybee said but I think he is pretty much right on. Also theres plent of room for a watercooling setup, Place a 80mm Radiator up in the rear, and maybe a 120mm Fan cut into the front of the case, this case will need some better airflow so a Top Blowhole will also need to be done, you could also place a 1200mm Rad up there instead of in the rear 80mm hole. Also see if you can find a Drive cage and mount it under the 5 1/4 drives, this will give you more room for hard drives.
Good Luck and keep us up to date with what your going to do.

Diablo2K said:
Only problem I see with modernizing it is that the rear IO Panel is not up to standard, where the rear ports go for the MB will have to be cut to make room for a new IO shield.

I just built a comp for another shop using that same case......I set the I/O shield up on a milling machine and cut it to match the motherboard I used, have any friends with a Bridgeport?
Or you could take your time and use a dremmel.

Lots of good ideas here, thanx guys! So far it sounds like paint, window mod with window modded harddrive (if i'm feeling lucky!), CCFL behind front panel, blowhole in top, cutout for push in I/O piece, and as big of fans as I can get to fit!

This will all be a while from now though as we are remodeling the house. But its definately on the to do list!

oh shit, i just threw one these things out, damn :eek: , i get a lot of old cases like this, next time ill put an ad up, and only charge you for shipping

as for that case, the metal is pretty think, which is also another challengs, i can wait to see pics of your progress!

Diablo2K said:

Mod a removable MOBO tray into the case. Some online retailers sell trays for Lian Li cases, and I think mountainmods.com also sells a removable tray.

i have that case, i just took my server out of it, wouldn't it be a little tough to put a window in it with the case cover being all one piece? there's a mod i guess. cut the case cover so that the other side always stays on and you can just take off the one side. i may do that to mine. also, is that all the original hardware in that case? i haven't seen the original hardware out of those comps.

Brandon

Yes, that is the original hardware. AFAIK it all still works :). But that won't be the hardware going in lol :D .

Both the removable MOBO tray and making the case panels come off in pieces sound like great ideas! Thanx for the ideas, much appreciated!

CS

soulsaver_8229 said:
cleaning it is the cheapest mod i can see you doing to it :D ;)

or paint it all black, everything black, black black black black!!!! then a window with gold tint on it

soulsaver_8229

Yeah the frame flat black and the panels high gloss black.

bmdean said:
what kind of hardware do you plan on putting in there?

Brandon

Depending on how it looks, maybe the hardware in my current A-Top Xblade case (My current rig). Otherwise, probably the hardware listed for the second computer.

altec said:
Yeah the frame flat black and the panels high gloss black.

Black is good. Gold trim on the windows, maaaaybe. I was thinking a metallic white, but not sure on accent color!

hah, i just ordered an xblade case. but it was from some company called JPac. it came busted and i'm not hastling with fedex to send it back through the insurance claim. so i will order yet another new case later at the end of this month. along with some other parts.

Brandon

I love the size of the case. We currently have 2 of those cases at my house, one old gateway 2000 pentium 1. I was wondering how big a lian li pc v 2000 b is in relation to that case.

Sand down that Gateway2000 logo and smooth out the top somehow either with bondo or a thin plastic panel. Definately some lights glowing out of those vertical slots in the front. I'm not fond of that HD mount, I'd just put it up top. That HD window mod is too tricky. A two tone paint scheme would work well with that shape. But the only thing on the front that I would leave exposed is your optical drive and that should be stealthed somehow. As far as sidepanels go trim out the middle of the two sides and top and just put plexi or acrylic panels on the outside. It would look sweet with beveled edges. Local glass shop would finish them off for you. The you would still have the functionality of the one piece top and sides. And move the on off and reset switch too, I'd like to see that front bezel nice and clean. I just saw some pics of an old HP midtower that was modded. Very clean and he had that triple guge thing in the front and it was bondo'd smooth. Best looking case I'd seen in a while. Made me jealous.

Gibroni said:
Definately some lights glowing out of those vertical slots in the front. I'm not fond of that HD mount, I'd just put it up top. That HD window mod is too tricky.
Isn't the glowy-lights-on-the-front thing done on the Dell XPS systems? Of course, those don't look nearly as good as what you're going to do...

I've never heard of anybody succesfully doing a HD window mod in any decent-sized hard drive. I've heard of it on 4-5 GB hard drives, but no drives that are vaguely recent. I would advise against it.

I have one of those cases sitting in the corner here. I modded in an 80mm fan hole (it has no case fans at all). I cut the whole in the wrong spot. Now the fan hole is exactly over the PSU... Oops.

I say, move that PSU down a bit closer to the CPU, and make some room for watercooling upstairs.

Or, You could use a Mini-Atx mainboard, move the PSU and PCI slots down even further, and have lots more room for junk.

In that front air intake, there is room for an air filter. I have a brick of foam in mine. But, with those many drilled holes in the back of the case on yours, a filter would be useless.

bob said:
In that front air intake, there is room for an air filter. I have a brick of foam in mine. But, with those many drilled holes in the back of the case on yours, a filter would be useless.

Depending on his airflow, he shouldn't need to filter the back. If his input and output flows are balanced, he should only need filters on the inputs. Assuming he uses the front for intake, leaving those holes unfiltered should be fine, since there will always be air blowing out of them.

Front=Intake
Back = Exhaust
Top = Exhaust

Front will house hopefully at least one 120. I don't think I can get a 120 in the back, so I will probably do 1 80mm there, and 1 80mm up top. The harddrive will go above the psu. I don't like where the harddrive is now either. Looks flimsy.

Back