old DLP projection tv no HDMI port want to use with steaming device

tonyyy

Limp Gawd
I have a DLP projection tv that does not have a hdmi but it does have DVI and component ports.

I would like to use this with a steaming device. I no longer have cable.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

A dvi cable is identical electrically to a HDMI cable. So you'd probably be able use a HDMI to DVI cable. Tha audio may pass through, but you also might have to run the audio separately.

No, there's no audio on dvi-d.

I passed audio on a DVI--> HDMI cable from my PC to a TV. The video card passed the audio without issue. So it functioned just like having a normal HDMI cable. But I do realize it was the video card doing the audio pass through.

That said, I don't think he would need to use a DVI-D for his situation. The ONLY time I have used DVI-D was for resolutions higher than 1080P. My 1440P monitor required it or a DP.

I passed audio on a DVI--> HDMI cable from my PC to a TV. The video card passed the audio without issue. So it functioned just like having a normal HDMI cable. But I do realize it was the video card doing the audio pass through.

That said, I don't think he would need to use a DVI-D for his situation. The ONLY time I have used DVI-D was for resolutions higher than 1080P. My 1440P monitor required it or a DP.

holy poop-diggity, there were a handful of video cards that could encode the audio for dvi -> hdmi conversion. Learn something new every day.

DVI-D refers to the ditigal portion, there are analog pins in a dvi cable which hdmi won't use.

holy poop-diggity, there were a handful of video cards that could encode the audio for dvi -> hdmi conversion. Learn something new every day.

DVI-D refers to the ditigal portion, there are analog pins in a dvi cable which hdmi won't use.

Ah ok. Yea I did it just fine on a few AMD cards and Nvidia cards. I believe MV still supports this feature.

Doesn't matter since no TV of that era is going to HANDLE the audio over DVI.

The OP will need to get a streaming device that has analog audio output and use it in combination with the HDMI to DVI conversion setup. Or send the audio to an AVR if one is attached...

Back