Old Direct3d/OpenGL games, & DC/SC memory

trivial

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Jul 14, 2001
Messages
1,424
CRT's are available which make staggering refresh rates practical. If I can discuss mainboard architecture without debate about framerate's visibility, I'd like to.

Let's say I want to run a game which hasn't even been patched since 1998 or so. I want un-vsynced framerates over 200Hz consistently―the maximum ps/2 sampling rate. These games often won't even allow rez to be set as high as 1024x768, so a good CRT can refresh very quickly while displaying them at their best.

In this situation, would I want dual channel memory? It depends on how the game was programmed, of course, but can a rule be abstracted? I haven't spent significant time with a new PC in a while, and I'm wondering if a single-channel Athlon 64 will do as well as possible for these old games I still play.
 
Originally posted by trivial
CRT's are available which make staggering refresh rates practical. If I can discuss mainboard architecture without debate about framerate's visibility, I'd like to.

Let's say I want to run a game which hasn't even been patched since 1998 or so.

In this situation, would I want dual channel memory?
if you're playing that old a game, memory bandwidth is the LAST thing that will bottleneck your system.
 
Originally posted by jagec
if you're playing that old a game, memory bandwidth is the LAST thing that will bottleneck your system.
I suspected that would be true often, especially if the engine core fits into the CPU cache these days. What do you think the most important bottleneck would be?
 
Back
Top