Old D-link router finally croaked.

KLZQ

n00b
Hey guys, I've been an avid follower of the forums and finally decided to pose a question for I am utterly clueless. About a week ago we had a real bad storm and a very brief power outage. Ever since that outage the performance of my families internet has suffered greatly. I used to be able to connect to games via xbox live instantly. I can also no longer connect to friends that I've been playing with for years... Now I see the option cycling through games of increasing ping in which I eventually never make it in.

There is also substantial performance decline in download speeds and such on the PC. I reset the router and modem to no avail. Now we have an ancient 5 year old D-link router that my dad thinks may be the problem. We're looking to upgrade but have no idea where to start. We are a wired family in what seems to be a wireless world and my parents don't want to go wireless haha. So is it possible to buy a high performance wireless router and connect all our devices with an ethernet cable? Is that possible? Will it hamper performance? Or do you tech wizzes have an opinions on what a real good wired or wireless router would be. We have cable internet which has been extremely fast the past year (old man pays for upgraded service haha). Sorry for the wall of text I'm just trying to get back on track.

I retired a D-Link a year ago, lot's of dropped connections, resetting, etc. Picked up a Linksys WRT54G-TM and flashed it to DD-WRT. It's very reliable.

That looks amazing. Now I'm not a hardcore techie but I do follow instructions well haha. Would that router be good for gaming on xbox/ps3/pc? Also, since it has 4 lan ports is it possible to wire up all those devices and "turn off" the wireless features? I'm not sure how wireless routers work but my house is all wired up already and wireless isn't exactly needed.

Would that router be good for gaming on xbox/ps3/pc?
Yup, the built in QoS will be a very nice thing for gaming
Also, since it has 4 lan ports is it possible to wire up all those devices and "turn off" the wireless features?
Yes, you can do this as well, it's just a checkbox to disable the WLAN.

Thanks so much for the help. One last question, is that check box to turn of the WLAN available after I set up DD-WRT or Tomato or is it some inherent obvious thing?

Thanks so much for the help. One last question, is that check box to turn of the WLAN available after I set up DD-WRT or Tomato or is it some inherent obvious thing?

It is after you install See the check box 'Enable Wireless'

Tomato-Firmware_1.png

There's a sticky for this...

Right now about the best in the consumer market is the WNDR3700. Go to smallnetbuilder.com and look through their router charts if you want cold hard data to back that up. There are a few others that share the crown so you can choose between brands but the WRT54G is NOT one of them. Sorry.

I really wish people would stop recommending the ancient WRT54G platform. It simply does not compare with newer boards with much faster processors, even with the flashy 'appeal' of being an 'open source renegade' you may get from installing DD-WRT or Tomato.

I really wish people would stop recommending the ancient WRT54G platform. It simply does not compare with newer boards with much faster processors, even with the flashy 'appeal' of being an 'open source renegade' you may get from installing DD-WRT or Tomato.

+1 for that. I think I bought my first WRT54G over 6 years ago! Technology has moved on, the WNDR3700 is definitely the best choice right now.

+1 for that. I think I bought my first WRT54G over 6 years ago! Technology has moved on, the WNDR3700 is definitely the best choice right now.

That does look like a pretty sweet router, I'll have to get one to play with :)

There's a sticky for this...

Right now about the best in the consumer market is the WNDR3700. Go to smallnetbuilder.com and look through their router charts if you want cold hard data to back that up. There are a few others that share the crown so you can choose between brands but the WRT54G is NOT one of them. Sorry.

QFT!
Celeron 300a processors on Abit BH6 motherboards were great too...BACK IN THE DAY!
Time to catch up a few generations...todays fairly current hardware run circles around the old wrt54g.

The WNDR3700 is indeed a nice router. I've always liked Netgear, they had a few clunkers, but I never had much of an issue with their routers over the years.

Ah I bit the bullet and picked up the Netgear router you boys mentioned. It is amazing. I set it up and have 3 laptops, 3 desktops, an Xbox 360 and PS3 all set up. Some with WiFi and some with the gigabit lan ports. It's incredible. I can't believe we've been using a D-Link di 604 for the last 3-4 years. Thanks for the help guys this thing is working wonders.

Back