• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

old crt causing lag?

wmw99a

n00b
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
48
is this possible? I have an old viewsonic a75f that is about 6 years old. I recently upgraded computer (asus av8 delux, 3200 venice, 1 gig corsair xms dual, radeon 9800 pro 128mb (not so new)) and I'm still lagging on games like counter strike: condition zero, not to mention source. Is there any reason to believe my monitor could be the culprit here? I'm getting 70fps+, so that shouldn't be a problem, but it's just a bit jerky/laggy, which means I get killed a lot and it's frustrating...
 
so what's a good replacement monitor in the $100-$200 range? I do moderate gaming (hl2, wcIII, etc) and can live with a 17"... what do you look for in monitors nowadays? I think there needs to be a couple stickies about what to look for in a LCD vs CRT monitor...

Help, anyone?
 
I have never had an LCD, but I did get a used Sony/HP 24" widescreen monitor off of Ebay for $230+$100 shipping, not sure if there are anymore around though... There is a whole thread about that.
 
wmw99a said:
Is there any reason to believe my monitor could be the culprit here?
I really don't think your crt is the culprit here. Crt's tend to show their age in other ways, i haven't ever heard of an old crt causing, what sounds like, run-of-the-mill lag in games. I may be wrong here but i suspect that i'm not.

Have you tried troubleshooting some of the easier stuff like alternate video & audio drivers, or tweaking the settings in their control panels? Did you wipe windows clean after your recent hardware upgrades? Or have you tried tweaking options in the bios? You could also try tweaking some network settings, or updating the nic and mobo drivers. Are you using your monitor's driver or the standard windows plug and play driver?

You mention 70+ fps in games but what fps are getting in high action scenes, remember the swing in gaming fps can be enormous. Maybe try lowering the detail/texture level a tad to further troubleshoot. And try testing it with v-sync both on and off.

g'luck either way
 
Back
Top