old cpu, new agp gpu

thatguyX

n00b
well i'm thinking about upgrading my graphics card. i'm currently running...

amd 64 3200+
MSI K8TNeo
2x512mb Ram
9800xt radeon

i don't feel like upgrading to pci-e just yet. i was thinking of just getting the 7800gs, 6800gs, or x800. I wanted to get the most I can for around 300. But would my cpu bottle neck anything? I dont want to spend more on my graphics card and then have it all bogged down by cpu or ram. I'm also looking for a card with 16 pipelines and 256mb. Any card recommendations? and is it worth it since i have a relatively old (2-3 years?) cpu?

If I were you i'd try to find a 6800 GT that unlocks to Ultra specs... if you can get it cheap... otherwise, just go all out and top off your tank with some high octane 7800GS. ;)

thatguyX said:
well i'm thinking about upgrading my graphics card. i'm currently running...

amd 64 3200+
MSI K8TNeo
2x512mb Ram
9800xt radeon

i don't feel like upgrading to pci-e just yet. i was thinking of just getting the 7800gs, 6800gs, or x800. I wanted to get the most I can for around 300. But would my cpu bottle neck anything? I dont want to spend more on my graphics card and then have it all bogged down by cpu or ram. I'm also looking for a card with 16 pipelines and 256mb. Any card recommendations? and is it worth it since i have a relatively old (2-3 years?) cpu?

For 300$ you can get a 7800GT AND a nForce4 Ultra combo from eVGA. It will cost you more to stick to AGP than swap the motherboard.

Para

Parabellum said:
For 300$ you can get a 7800GT AND a nForce4 Ultra combo from eVGA. It will cost you more to stick to AGP than swap the motherboard.

Para

You're right... he can get a S754 SLi mobo... Epox 8npa!! I missed that board... it was great.

BUT!

you maaaaay need a better PSU. I thought the same exact thing but ended up needing a better PSU to handle the new system. but the 7800gt + mobo is awesome.

linky please.

and will i see an improvement going from a 3200 barton to a A64 3000?

i been holding off for socket 940 and 2nd gen ddr2

damn ill have to buy another windows OS right?

Never had problem using muliple computer with same OS Cdkey.. :cool:

As for the linky.. Look for it.. we arent here to spoon feed you.

Ocean said:
linky please.

and will i see an improvement going from a 3200 barton to a A64 3000?

i been holding off for socket 940 and 2nd gen ddr2

damn ill have to buy another windows OS right?

You should see an improvement. I saw a crazy jump going from my +2800 to a A64+3500.

I dont blame you for holding off for a 2nd gen ddr2 although i hear there is not that much performance increase. If you wanna hold out go ahead but dont plunk anymore money into AGP or your present system.

No need to buy another windows OS as long as you still have a valid cd-key. (Ive used the same Windows XP through three different mobo upgrades)

the windowsXP license is good for use on one computer thats being used + a laptop

So if you build a new system and you quit using your old one you can use the same copy of WindowsXP, and if you have a laptop you can install it on that too because it's reguarded as an extention of your desktop

I fail to see how it's piracy.. that cd and cd-key BELONG to me.. I did't get it from a friend or bought/download it illgeally.

Whatever I suppose it's personal opintion. :rolleyes:

best [486] said:
Thats piracy and socket 940 is out

i have windows 2000

and i mean the new socket 940 with ddr2 not the opteron one

though i do have a copy of a windows xp home, but i hate xp, too many puppies and popups, and step by step by step by step wizards, after you go through 2 or 3 tabs and 3 advanced buttons.

bleh.

7800 GS or the EVGA deal that the others have posted earlier in the thread are my suggestions as well.

noobtech said:
If I were you i'd try to find a 6800 GT that unlocks to Ultra specs... if you can get it cheap... otherwise, just go all out and top off your tank with some high octane 7800GS. ;)

There is no such thing as a 6800 GT that "unlocks", both the 6800 GT and 6800 Ultra had the 16 pipes available from the start, the GT just usually came with a lower clock and a smaller stock cooler.

Most, but not all 6800 GT's could easily overclock to Ultra levels without much hassle.

Soyo13 said:
I fail to see how it's piracy.. that cd and cd-key BELONG to me.. I did't get it from a friend or bought/download it illgeally.

Whatever I suppose it's personal opintion. :rolleyes:
Can't say about the CD key. But remember, you do not own the OS, you are only licensing it.
Many people don't realize that. Anyway ... this is a thread about gfx cards.

Sniper_Merc said:
There is no such thing as a 6800 GT that "unlocks", both the 6800 GT and 6800 Ultra had the 16 pipes available from the start, the GT just usually came with a lower clock and a smaller stock cooler.

Most, but not all 6800 GT's could easily overclock to Ultra levels without much hassle.
You are right. One thing though ... many OCers flash their 6800U to 6800GT because the
looser RAM timings of the GT allow higher overclocks. Also keep in mind that the U has
a slightly higher stock voltage.

More info here if anyone is interested.

Back