• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Old ATI x800 GTO problems

weemanbran

n00b
Joined
Dec 6, 2007
Messages
36
So I decided to build a PC out of older parts for my friend. Basically, the PC starts up for a second then shuts down. I figured out the problem was occurring in either the PCI slot or the graphics card(x800 gto).

I haven't used the graphics card for a while and I am pretty sure I had it OC'd fairly high and I think the graphics card is overheating. So is there anyway to check whether its the graphics card or the PCI slot without using another graphics card?
 
Are you sure?

A 430 watt thermaltake isn't enough to power a:

amd 3800+ x2
k8n neo4 ddr1 mb
2gb pc3200 generic corsair ram
ati x800 gto 256mb

Those 430w Thermaltakes are trash. Trust me, just try out another psu.
 
Are you sure?

A 430 watt thermaltake isn't enough to power a:

amd 3800+ x2
k8n neo4 ddr1 mb
2gb pc3200 generic corsair ram
ati x800 gto 256mb

430 watt is more than enough....

I power a similar machine with a 9600gt on a 320
 
430 watt is more than enough....
Not when the psu is arguably a downgrade from a generic brand found in a cheap case. Back when I worked at pclub, we had about half of these come back to the store as returns. I got one as a backup power supply and it wouldn't even run an AMD +5000, 1hdd, DVD burner and a 6600gt. Check any e-tailors customer reviews and you will see a lot of "DOA".

And just to clarify, when I did the AMD build I was just talking about, we had the EXACT same problem. A quick trip to my local pc parts store and a Sparkle 500w psu fixed the problem and it powered right up.
 
The Thermaltake 430W is known for having a really anemic 12V rail (18A) which is important for things like video cards. Then you have to add in degradation over time causing the max load on that rail to go down even further. I would probably recommend something like a 430W Earthwatts which can do 30A on the 12V. Hell, the 380W version could power your rig.

430W: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371006

380W: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371005
 
Its basically having the hardware around to troubleshoot with. You need another video card and power supply to swap out. Without them its all pretty much speculation as to whats wrong.
 
Back
Top