old 400MHz P2 as email server

iGamer

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an old 400MHz Pentium II /256MB RAM Dell GX1 in my garage, and I was considering either making it a roundcube email server... I would be the only one using it, with the possibilty of 5 users max in the future. I would pop in an 80GB Hard Drive in that is also a spare and probably setup some type of backup system for it..

anyways is that enough oomph for that? I would probably put Windows 2000 Server and WAMP on it.

With Linux, no issue, with win 2000, maybe.

Few things to keep in mind:
Most ISP's block port 25 on non-business accounts
You will still need an MTA and Imap server to pair with roundcube.
Your power bill will range (dependent on hardware, yours is pretty inefficient but I have no solid numbers) from $8-$15 a month which is how much a good shared host charges.

With Linux, no issue, with win 2000, maybe.

You will still need an MTA and Imap server to pair with roundcube.
Your power bill will range (dependent on hardware, yours is pretty inefficient but I have no solid numbers) from $8-$15 a month which is how much a good shared host charges.

yea I know all that... my main email is actually hosted with Google Apps, this was just more of a learning how to set it up, than anything else..

Then by all means go with a Linux distro. Cent OS and Ubuntu Server would be the easiest to learn IMO.

I have an old 400MHz Pentium II /256MB RAM Dell GX1 in my garage, and I was considering either making it a roundcube email server.
Just out of curiosity, why burn electricity when Google can do it better/faster/cheaper? Yes, using Gmail isn't quite [H], but still ...

I have an old 400MHz Pentium II /256MB RAM Dell GX1 in my garage, and I was considering either making it a roundcube email server... I would be the only one using it, with the possibilty of 5 users max in the future. I would pop in an 80GB Hard Drive in that is also a spare and probably setup some type of backup system for it..

anyways is that enough oomph for that? I would probably put Windows 2000 Server and WAMP on it.

I run my personal server off of a 10 year old Gateway box with a 700MHz P3 proc and it runs Debian Lenny just fine, any kind of Windows server will most likely nuke the poor box.

I use postfix + dovecot-imap and then roundcube for the web interface and it works really well.

I run my personal server off of a 10 year old Gateway box with a 700MHz P3 proc and it runs Debian Lenny just fine, any kind of Windows server will most likely nuke the poor box.

I use postfix + dovecot-imap and then roundcube for the web interface and it works really well.

sweet thanks for the info!

well I will be upgrading my primary server in my sig to a Core i3 or i5 soon, so I might just wait on this.. and make the Dual Xeon Server my email/secondary server.

why not do it through VM? Assuming your boxes are already on most of the time, that would be a lower cost solution from an electricity perspective.

Both Comcast and Verizon in the Philadelphia area do not block 80 or 25 on residential accounts. I've run web and email servers on both. You will have to use something like dyndns with Verizon as your IP will change constantly. However with Comcast, even though technically DHCP on the WAN side, for 3 years I had the exact same IP and didnt bother with dyndns.

Back