Okay, whats the better browser: Avant or Firefox?

Which browser do you prefer?

• Avant Browser

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Firefox Browser

Votes: 43 91.5%
  • Neither - I'm an MS freak and I'll always be loyal to Bill Gates products so I still use IE.

Votes: 4 8.5%

• Total voters

ozziegn

The man behind the curtain...
like the title says.

I actually use both because they each have their good and bad points but I was wondering what the general [H] population uses so feel free to put your .02 cents in but not a penny more. :D

I haven't used Avant, but while reading the options it offers, it doesn't seem much different from Firefox. So I prefer Firefox on the basis that Avant is based on IE, while Firefox uses the Gecko engine. If I'm gonna have another browser (as an IE option), it might as well be one that cares about web standards.~

EDIT: Graph is giving us the finger, by the way =/

Here's my 1 cent of opinion-based entertaining thread posting.

I prefer Firefox for several reasons:
1.) Very standards compliant thanks to the Gecko engine.
2.) tabbed browsing
3.) very extensible and you get to pick and choose exactly what kind of functionality you want through extensions
4.) Fast
5.) I use Linux, so it's really more of Firefox vs. Mozilla vs. Opera :)

I 2nd the opera vote. I've been using it for the last two years and rarely do I have to revert to IE to make something on the web to work. That and you can skin it :cool:

I switched from Avant to Firedox on my home machine because Avant mangled some pages, which oddly IE processed just fine.

- Qualm

I've been using Firefox off and on for a while now....I just started playing again after version 0.9 came out. At first I hated it because it didn't have enough features. However, the more I use it and the more plugins I find the more I like it. It's not the greatest stand alone but the plug-ins add a lot of functionality.

Yeah, one of the design plans for Mozilla Firefox was to create something very extensible, but keep the base browser lean so it didn't become Mozilla suite.

Installing extensions does seem like a pain at first, but I like it more than having the browser loaded with features and such that I'd never use or possibly never hear of.

And hey, it's so extensible an extension has been written that allows you to play Tetris! So when the [H] is down and you're waiting forever to reload the page, you'll be thankful Firefox extensions came prepared. :D

I recently switched from opera to firefox. I have not used opera since. I really liked the use of mouse gustures but firefox offers that too. I think its great and just set it to be my default browser.

Fierfox loads slow, but runs quick...on my machines, anyway. I like its configurable nature...and I don't worry about spyware. :)

I just recently loaded Firefox and kind of like it. However, I did find that when posting in these forums that when I get to the end of the box in the posting window, if I press space at the end of the word, it doesn't show the space. The post shows up ok, but that's just the only quirk I found with it.

Other than that it's faster than IE. I don't think it loads slow though....it's actually damn near instant on my machine.

nst6563 said:
....I don't think it loads slow though....it's actually damn near instant on my machine.
I have my cache on other partitions which may explain the slow loading...or not. In any event, I'll never go back to IE.

IE loads faster than firefox for me, but i still like firefox better, cuz theres this weird spyware on my IE that shows some ad's when a page isnt found. :(

I have been using Firefox for a month now and I really like, but there are still a few pages that just don't look or function correctly in firefox. So I still use IE about 15% of the time.

Lord of Shadows said:
Umm, avant isnt a browse,. it just use's IE, and throws in its goofy gui.

Thats exactlly what IE is!

The IE applcation itself is only about 200KB or so in size. It shows the MSHTML rendering engine as a COM object....

This is exactlly what Avant, MyIE2, etc... do.

I've been using FireFox since the day 0.8 came onto the web, and haven't looked back. Very occasionally, a website will require IE. When that happens, I'll load it up for just that site.

FireFox > Avant. :cool:

eloj said:
How many of the few pages validate?

Hmm.. The last one was last week. Someone was trying to go to a music video website, forget the name. When it got to the last step of configuration, it said you needed IE. I cut and paste the link into IE, and it worked fine.

Then again, a few months ago my younger brother had to look at something for school (a bunch of educational flash movies). IE bitched about cookies, FireFox came through. So, it's a mixed bag, really. :D

opera > *
firefox > avant

i only used IE for the following things recenty:
windowsmobiletraining.com
logging into a win2000 terminal server
accessing my work's exchange e-mail account via a brower

i wonder why none of those things work quite right in a non IE broswer?

Been using Firefox since Firebird .7

The only time I ever really needed IE was for the Windows mobile training, :rolleyes:

okay, so I just reformatted and I decided to use the latest Firefox build and the program has crashed on me like seven times so far today.

so I uninstalled it and used the previous version and it hasnt crashed yet.

whats up with that?

ozziegn said:
okay, so I just reformatted and I decided to use the latest Firefox build and the program has crashed on me like seven times so far today.

so I uninstalled it and used the previous version and it hasnt crashed yet.

whats up with that?
I've heard this with 0.9.X. I'm sticking with 0.8 until they get to at least 1.0, or a stable 0.9.X

Back