Okay... somebody remind me again.

RedShred

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Apr 6, 2001
Messages
2,760
The very last thing you check in a PC after installing stuff near the CPU HSF is that the HSF is secure and sitting properly on the die.





I just killed one of the fastest 1700's I've ever seen. It WAS running about 2370 according to WCPUID. You guys remember my thread about the burnt powersupply... Well I installed my new purepower 420 theraltake. In the case I'm using, the cpu sits less then an inch from the PSU.

In the moving around... I hit the HSF and it was 1/2 up the ramp when I checked it.

The processor didnt stand a chance.

I'm now running a humble XP2000 that doesnt like to OC. :eek:
 
/me pats RedShred on the back and hands him a tissue,

*moment of silence*

"it happens to the best of us once in a while"
 
Dammit I hate that.

Thanks for reminding us all to double check everything after upgrades/repairs.
 
Not do that but I've got close.
Working on one of my duallies and forgot to plug CPU0's HSF in.
Its got very good airflow in the setup as it ran for about 5 mins full load before I noticed it.
Switched off and let it cool down.
Plugged the fan in and it rebooted fine.
Dont know how hot it got but I reacon it was close.

R.I.P........... :D
u=Tigerbiten.gif
 
Red, we're going to have to take away your computer privileges if you don't stop killing perfectly good hardware! :p
 
Mattman said:
Red, we're going to have to take away your computer privileges if you don't stop killing perfectly good hardware! :p

No we wont.
We will send our Moose around to force you to buy better/faster [H]ardware.

R.I.P........... :D
u=Tigerbiten.gif
 
Red can kill hardware with the best of 'em.

Guess I'll be scrounging around in the old CPU box again this weekend.
 
i ran my watercooling with the pump off before... (on purpose a time or two... no comment there:p) just in case that makes you feel any better.

but good luck getting a new chip in there... that can't be good for your output...

get another boxen going! now!

p.s. it's all relic's fault
 
Back
Top