Okay, so GTX 1080 releases on May 27th. What does that mean exactly?

zamardii12

2[H]4U
Hey everyone, I have been holding out on the 1080 for a while and I haven't built a PC in a very long time so I have no idea how this goes. He says that they 1080 will be available worldwide on the 27th, but what does that mean in comparison to past launches of videocards? I imagine this isn't like console where you can pre-order, and whatever... so what happens? Do you just spam search Newegg on the 27th for "GTX 1080" until it pops up or what? Could retailers technically sell units earlier like a preorder?

How did past card launches go? What have been your experiences?

It will sell out the moment it goes live. Newegg will massively gouge prices. Ebay sellers will be assholes. That's how these big launches usually go.

Bummer. Is it months before things like that get back into stock?

There will be tight supply starting at midnight. You'd better be ready if you want one, especially if you want two. If you wait till the morning to order, forget it.

The price will be retail plus a small up charge for custom coolers or cards like EVGA SCs. They'll be gone in less than 30 minutes. A few days to a week later, small batches of cards from different manufacturers will pop up and be snatched up almost immediately. This will go on for a month or so.

Probably sold out within 20-30 minutes short supply, might be good to put an order in or at least have funds ready. If you miss out, probably a good two weeks to a month later supply will get better, then eventually pretty stable at the two month mark.

From what I remember from the GTX980 release that I stayed up for, it was indeed midnight Pacific. Sorry.

Were you able to get one when you stayed up? What retailer did you order yours from? What retailers are the best to watch for?

There will be tight supply starting at midnight. You'd better be ready if you want one, especially if you want two. If you wait till the morning to order, forget it.

The price will be retail plus a small up charge for custom coolers or cards like EVGA SCs. They'll be gone in less than 30 minutes. A few days to a week later, small batches of cards from different manufacturers will pop up and be snatched up almost immediately. This will go on for a month or so.
Screw custom cooling (and especially for GTX1070) - I'm going for the June GTX1070 window - and the same cooling they showed on GTX1080. Understated elegance that is scary-effective is plenty to suit me (and especially for a daily-driver).
I have both the nVidia Store and Amazon.com on speed-click; the hard part will be waiting until June.

Were you able to get one when you stayed up? What retailer did you order yours from? What retailers are the best to watch for?

I got mine from Newegg. Amazon had theirs up about midnight as well. EVGAs own store had them at midnight as well. You could always order direct from Nvidia I guess.

Unfortunately this time around around it looks like all that's going to be available at launch is the Founders Edition, for an extra $100, and probably no variety. I'm not really too excited about that.

It will sell out the moment it goes live. Newegg will massively gouge prices.

Newegg does not price gouge. Sometimes they are $10-$20 over the going price. If the price is way over, it's a 3rd party seller.

Newegg does not price gouge. Sometimes they are $10-$20 over the going price. If the price is way over, it's a 3rd party seller.

Unless they're being charged more by manufacturers charging over MSRP, even by $20, is still price gouging. People are still willing to pay the inflated prices instead of waiting for stock to level out so, whatever, it's a good business decision for Newegg. Still, it's something they never used to do.

I stopped buying from newegg about 10 years ago for that very reason. Homie don't play that. Haven't ordered a thing from them since. You will not find these cards in stock easily anywhere until August unless you are very lucky or are willing to hit f5 at 3 in the morning on launch day.

I purchased a EVGA 970 a little over a month ago and have 41 days until I can step up. Hope they are released by EVGA before my step up period is over!

I got a 980GTX on Amazon for something like $20 over retail on launch day.
I've bought some 100% retail price launch-day cards at my local Microcenter B&M store, too.
I'm just going to play this one by ear. IMO, my bigger concern is making sure I don't wait too late to sell my 980. Luckily the people on Craigslist are way overpricing theirs and hence haven't had any luck.

I got a 980GTX on Amazon for something like $20 over retail on launch day.
I've bought some 100% retail price launch-day cards at my local Microcenter B&M store, too.
I'm just going to play this one by ear. IMO, my bigger concern is making sure I don't wait too late to sell my 980. Luckily the people on Craigslist are way overpricing theirs and hence haven't had any luck.

How did you do that? Did you constantly have to search for the 980, or was there a product page up before the orders went live?

While I can't confirm that Newegg constantly prices their products way over MSRP as there are times where the price is really good compared with other sellers, I have noticed that Newegg prices aren't what they used to be. I believe May 27th will be when the Founders Edition cards will come out. It is entirely possible AIB partners will be selling their versions as well but it usually takes some time for custom PCBs to start coming out.

I'm pretty sure I preordered my msi gaming 980ti 6g on launch day and it shipped pretty soon after

I purchased a EVGA 970 a little over a month ago and have 41 days until I can step up. Hope they are released by EVGA before my step up period is over!
They won't allow step up to the 1080. At least they didn't years back when I got gtx690 in release day. If they do lmk and I'll apologize

They won't allow step up to the 1080. At least they didn't years back when I got gtx690 in release day. If they do lmk and I'll apologize

Reading through the EVGA forums and it seems like it maybe possible even according to the mods. Hopefully I can... I'm actually more interested in the 1070 but we'll see out it plays out.

How did you do that? Did you constantly have to search for the 980, or was there a product page up before the orders went live?

With the 980, I just searched for "Nvidia 980" on Amazon on the morning of release. There were probably 4-5 different models that started showing up the night before. Most were listed for pre-order or simply out of stock, but they would show up as "available" randomly on release day, too. I just kept searching throughout the day and noticed the MSI model was in stock. That was the one I wanted to begin with, so it was a no brainer. I ended up paying something like $25 over retail price, but shipping was free since I'm a Prime member.

With this card, I'll probably do the same thing. I'll probably check at the Egg and Microcenter, too. My local Microcenter hasn't gotten the last few gens of high-end Nvidia cards, so that's probably a waste of time...but you never know. I bought the 8800GTX 5 minutes after they opened and only an hour or two after reading the [H] review for it :p

With this card, I'm actually most interested if any plan to have multiple HDMI outs. That could end up being a big deal if I go the VR route at some point.

He isn't wrong. Those pricing errors don't stay around too long before they are fixed. Usually it's their automated system inflating it based on lack of inventory.

Hard to discuss further since nobody has provided a specific example. I'm done with the hostility and arguing, though, and will just admit Newegg is out to get us all and rule the world. :)

Oh, and ASUS video cards all catch fire.

Bye. :)

Back