Okay i want to build a server but im lost??

Nick_Leo

[H]ard|Gawd
i have pc running in my closet that downloads torrents then i want to transfer them to this pc but im getting low on space on this pc with tons of music and torrents. so i want to store them in a file server that i can access with the 360 and other pcs. i just did a fresh install on the other pc of xp but do i need server 2003? my plans are to get a raptor X for this pc and just load the other one up with hard drives so all i have on this is the os and games.

so can someone just give me like step by step or guide me in the right direction somehow?

you could use Linux and samba or get a second XP Pro and ust setup shares.

well ive got it so i can view the files i want on each pc so i guess i got it.

I would reccomend solaris 10, a lot easier to use then linux and its file system (zfs) is rock solid.

I use linux on the server in my closet, running raid5 via evms. I run my torrent client (rtorrent) on the server, along with a few other things, to the point that I turn my desktop off at night and don't lose any functionality.

I use linux on the server in my closet, running raid5 via evms. I run my torrent client (rtorrent) on the server, along with a few other things, to the point that I turn my desktop off at night and don't lose any functionality.

Can i ask how do you add torrents to the server and check their status?

Can i ask how do you add torrents to the server and check their status?

He/she said he uses rtorrent which is a text based torrent program for unix. I'm guessing he/she logs into the server via telnet or ssh and just pasts the torrent links into the console that they want to download. They can check them by just relogging into said server. They prob download the torrents to a sharred folder on the server and just pull them to the desktop when they want to do something with them.

He/she said he uses rtorrent which is a text based torrent program for unix. I'm guessing he/she logs into the server via telnet or ssh and just pasts the torrent links into the console that they want to download. They can check them by just relogging into said server. They prob download the torrents to a sharred folder on the server and just pull them to the desktop when they want to do something with them.

Hmm i reccomend the OP to use torrentflux, it has a nice web ui.

Hey you have 128mb ram in your xbox, so do i :p

Hmm i reccomend the OP to use torrentflux, it has a nice web ui.

Hey you have 128mb ram in your xbox, so do i :p

Hell media center or xp pro and just use remote desktop. That way he doesn't have to play with linux if he doesn't want to. If they use xp home then just vnc.

Yes my xbox has 128 ram(although I don't use it anymore). Installing that extra memory was a bitch.

Obviously it's up to you, but I'd probably just run XP on it. It'll do everything you want it to do, and be a lot easier to setup and take care of than a Linux based system.

Unless you have Linux experience, or just have an interest in learning it, a simple XP network will do the trick...

yeah i think im goin to stick up, im wondering since my mobo doesnt have built in rad id need a raid card im guessing, so is raid really worth it? Again this wont be a true server till after i get my 42 inch tv. witch will be like 1.5 months.

No.

I have a directory structure that rtorrent reads, and will automatically start downloading files that are put in there, and then it will create symlinks to the files with different names to update the status of them (in progress, finished, etc). Then when I delete the file it automatically removes the torrent, stops seeding it, and deletes all temporary data.

I take a look at the actual rtorrent UI just to see how my bandwidth is being allocated, but other than that I do everything else directly from the filesystem (which I manipulate via samba or ssh/scp/sftp depending on where I am)

No.

I have a directory structure that rtorrent reads, and will automatically start downloading files that are put in there, and then it will create symlinks to the files with different names to update the status of them (in progress, finished, etc). Then when I delete the file it automatically removes the torrent, stops seeding it, and deletes all temporary data.

I take a look at the actual rtorrent UI just to see how my bandwidth is being allocated, but other than that I do everything else directly from the filesystem (which I manipulate via samba or ssh/scp/sftp depending on where I am)

Interesting

Back