Ok, Whats wrong with "msconfig".........???

MYSTic Jedi

Limp Gawd
Ok, so i use my mom's Toshiba Satellite laptop as a secondary computer when i have friends over or something, but for some reason or another, it just recently started to start upl EVERYTHING in the "msconfig/startup" tab. I have unchecked things i do not want to start up on startup, but when i do restart, they all come up and they are all checked again. I really hate this, seeing as this is a laptop, so i dont want all those things starting up when i try to boot up on the rode or something, boot-time right now is about 3 minutes, and drains battery life too. Is there anything i could do about this?

Msconfig hasn't been the tool to use for that since Windows ME. Run regedit and navigate to the following places:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run

The entries in the above locations determine what gets loaded when Windows itself starts, and then what is loaded when the current user logs on. Simply delete the entries you don't want.

Note that you shouldn't mess with the registry beyond this, as Windows (and other software) make heavy use of the registry to work properly. If you're going to err, err on the side of caution. I take no responsibility if you wreck your Windows installation.

DanK said:
Msconfig hasn't been the tool to use for that since Windows ME. Run regedit and navigate to the following places:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run

The entries in the above locations determine what gets loaded when Windows itself starts, and then what is loaded when the current user logs on. Simply delete the entries you don't want.

Note that you shouldn't mess with the registry beyond this, as Windows (and other software) make heavy use of the registry to work properly. If you're going to err, err on the side of caution. I take no responsibility if you wreck your Windows installation.
lol, ok, you will take no lame if i wreck my windows installation, it needs to be reformated anyway, but she wont let me do that, so any way, thanks so much!

Msconfig is still used in XP, not in 2000, but it's still more handy then diggin into the registry keys sometimes.
1) Get rid of spyware with Adaware (http://www.lavasoft.com) and if you feel froggy also use Webroot Spybot Seach and Destroy.
2) Then reboot and check the registry keys mentioned above.

If that doesn't work, drop your moms laptop in the pool.

DanK said:
Msconfig hasn't been the tool to use for that since Windows ME.
Like stated, Windows 2000 is the only place it doesn't exist. It's in XP and 2003. I would recommend someone use this prior to diggin into the registry.
DanK said:
Note that you shouldn't mess with the registry beyond this...
While I don't recommend someone who it unexperienced mess with it, I don't recommend a someone who is unexperienced drive in rush hour traffic in LA either... The point is, the registry isn't a big bad boogie man. There's a lot you can do and tweak with it. But, as you said, it's best to be cautios.

MSCONFIG also onlys shows you what is set to start up in the RUN keys.

There are other locations in the registry to start items from. One I have found to be the registry keys for MSCONFIG itself.

Back